Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Frigidaire Freezer Conversion

Old 08-02-2009, 11:58 PM   #1
Rick500
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Frigidaire Keezer built (pics)

Done! (Still have to get some secondary regulators, and I'm missing a tap handle, but otherwise done!)

I decided the hinges would be on the lid and the collar would stay in place rather than lift with the lid. But I didn't affix the collar to the freezer; I just put some rubber foam weatherstripping around the bottom of the collar and gravity holds the collar with lid attached in place. Then if I need to, I can just lift the collar/lid off, and more importantly, the freezer is in no way permanently modified so the warranty is still intact.

Here's the weatherstripping I used (the collar and lid assembly is upside-down in the pic).

Here's the finished product minus a tap handle:

I installed the taps off to the left not only because I liked the look, but because one more keg will fit in there, so I can drill another hole for another faucet if I want to in the future, and I couldn't have centered four and then added one later and still have everything centered.

Obligatory Perlick showoff shot:

Old 08-04-2009, 02:24 AM   #2
Rick500
Recipes 

It's been running now for about 24 hours. I just added a PC case fan (powered by an old Motorola Razr wall charger). I highly recommend a fan. The temperature differential in different spots in my freezer, especially with the 1 x 8 collar, is way too much without it, and the fan evens it right out.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
Rick500
Recipes 

Thinking of adding a nitrogen system... hrm... wonder if it'd be worth it to try to squeeze 5 kegs in there. Might require some reorganization of stuff inside the freezer.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:51 PM   #4
crlova2
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

How is the freezer working with the weather stripping? I am about to build one of these and like the idea of not attaching the collar at all, just seems easier. Does it provide a good seal? Also, what part of KY are you in?

Old 05-03-2011, 11:53 PM   #5
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 521 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Any idea how many carboys would fit in there? Looking at getting this one shipped online for a lagering cellar.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:50 AM   #6
Rick500
Recipes 

The weatherstripping is working perfectly. Honestly, I wouldn't change anything if I were to build this kegerator again. The seal is fine. Gravity holds it all together nicely.

I'm in Louisville, but I'll be in Lexington in a couple weeks to brew in Kentucky Ales' GABF Pro-Am competition.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:41 AM   #7
Rick500
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teromous View Post
Any idea how many carboys would fit in there? Looking at getting this one shipped online for a lagering cellar.
Hmmm... From memory, as I'm not where the kegerator is at the moment, I think 3 carboys would fit in there, maybe 4 if you're lucky.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #8
crlova2
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick500 View Post
The weatherstripping is working perfectly. Honestly, I wouldn't change anything if I were to build this kegerator again. The seal is fine. Gravity holds it all together nicely.

I'm in Louisville, but I'll be in Lexington in a couple weeks to brew in Kentucky Ales' GABF Pro-Am competition.
I will be at the KY brew off as well! I actually live less than five minutes from the brewery. Maybe I'll see you out there and can get some tips for my build. I am about to get it started in about a week. Do you know what you are going to brew yet for the competition?