Sir Gary Coleman (Little English Mild)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschatz

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP002 (English Ale)
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
18 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 62F
Tasting Notes
Tasty little brew!!!
Whachoo talkin' bout Eschatz?
I'm talkin' about Sir Gary Coleman! :D

My little English Mild has a chocolate/roasted flavor that is balanced by a slight sweetness. Mild bitterness and a great yeast profile. You can brew this and start drinking it from the tap after 14 days. He tastes so aged yet he's so young. Also at 3.5% ABV you and Gary can hang all day long.

6# English 2 row
3/4 # Crystal 60
4 oz Chocolate
2 oz Black Patent

1 oz Fuggles (4.5% AA) at 60

WLP002 English Ale Yeast
Mash at 156

:tank:

I'm trying to save this batch for a party in two weeks but I'm not doing a very good job :(

I guess I could get off of here and brew another batch. :D

$27.80 from Brewmasters Warehouse. I think I'll brew this one up. BTW, I used 2oz of debittered Black Patent, think that'll be ok?

Yeah, I don't really know too much about "debittered" black patent. My guess is that it would not be appropriate for this style. You need that slightly acrid flavor from the patent. However, this beer is extremely smooth and chocolatey. You'll love it. Maybe someone else on here knows a little more about that malt and can help you.

I used the recipe as my first all grain batch. Undershot the OG a little, but I am sure it is just needing to work on my technique. Also the first batch that I kegged. The problem is going to be trying to make it last till my next batch is ready to drink.

Thanks for posting the recipe!

I think you'll be fine with the de-bittered BP. Many modern Mild recipes don't use BP at all, even Dark Milds.

Just to say-

I have made this beer twice w/ Safale S04. Its a great session beer that still has plenty of flavor.

Back