which website has the cheapest star san? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > which website has the cheapest star san?

Old 08-02-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
shoemaker27
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Lebanon, New Jersey

So I've been looking to get some star san but I'm turned off by the price....which website has the cheapest star san? Thanks for the help!

Old 08-02-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
marubozo
I can has homebrew?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2009
SW Michigan
Liked 5407 Times on 5257 Posts

Depends on the size bottle, but northern brewer has a 16 oz bottle for $11. One of the cheapest I've seen for that size. But you can really save if you go to a 32 oz bottle and pick one up for $15.50.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/default/star-san.html

Old 08-02-2009, 09:46 PM   #3
android

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Ames, Iowa
Liked 44 Times on 35 Posts

the stuff will last you a LONG time if you use it right also, and the simplicity of use is well worth is. don't be turned off by the price.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 08-02-2009, 09:59 PM   #4
Big10Seaner

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Schaumburg
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Go for the 32 oz bottle, it lasts a really long time and it's a great product.
On tap: Some Sort of IPA, Cherry Cider
Bottled: Belgian Sour (1st place winner Binny's Chicago Comp)

Old 08-02-2009, 10:34 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3189 Times on 1884 Posts

Yes if you get the 32 it can last over a year....one thing to do is only make up a gallon or so (I usually do 2.5 gallons on a typical brew day), and slosh it around in your fermenter then pour it in a bucket and dunk stuff in. Then soak your autosiphon hose, then use your autosiphon to run it to another container, this will sanitize your autosiphon.

Also use a spray bottle with Distilled water (I bought a quart spray bottle and use 2 ml/quart) and spray stuff rather than mixing stuff up everytime you need it even for small things. And keep it hand...any time I need to take a hydro reading , open the fermenter or to clean up and re-sanitize after a blow off, I just spritz it with sanitizer...

And it can last a long time?months in a tight spray bottle with distilled water.

You can also store any size of it for a long time if you mix it with Distilled/RO water and keep it sealed between uses....With distilled, as long at it says clear then it is still usable.

If you buy the largest amount and do like I recommend, you will actually end up saving money in terms of re-use and how long it lasts.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-02-2009, 10:34 PM   #6
enderwig

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Dickinson Texas
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I know the price seems high, but I am still on the same bottle I bought in November 2007, come this nov. it'll be 2 years since I've needed any. I have brewed 71 batches with it, and its between 1/3 and 1/2 still!

Old 08-02-2009, 11:58 PM   #7
Scut_Monkey

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Just bought a 32 oz bottle from austinhomebrew.com for cheap. I as well use a spray bottle for just about everything except when I have to sterilize on brew day or bottling day. I also bought some iodophor to use from time to time to combat any growing resistance to starsan. I don't think this is necessary but it gives me piece of mind.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:14 AM   #8
mikefranciotti
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Long Island, NY

Do you guys mix Star San with water and keep it in a bucket or something? I've been going through this stuff like water! I just filled a spray bottle but I didn't use distilled water, just regular tap water with Star San. Right now I've got about 2 gallons of water/Star San in a primary bucket that I've used for dunking things while brewing today. If I cover it and stick it in the basement to save it?

Finally dusted off the equipment after a year hiatus!

Old 08-03-2009, 02:20 AM   #9
Nurmey
I love making Beer

Recipes 

Jul 2007
Omaha, NE
Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefranciotti View Post
Do you guys mix Star San with water and keep it in a bucket or something? I've been going through this stuff like water! I just filled a spray bottle but I didn't use distilled water, just regular tap water with Star San. Right now I've got about 2 gallons of water/Star San in a primary bucket that I've used for dunking things while brewing today. If I cover it and stick it in the basement to save it?
Buy a couple jugs of distilled water and mix it up in there. I fill my spray bottle from the jugs and pour a gallon in my buckets and carboys to sanitize them. When I'm finished, I just shove a funnel in the jug, pour everything back in, and seal it up.

It takes me a couple months to finish off a gallon jug. I check it with a pH strip to ensure it is still effective.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:20 AM   #10
enderwig

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Dickinson Texas
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefranciotti View Post
Do you guys mix Star San with water and keep it in a bucket or something?
I have an apple juice 1 gallon jug, I mix up a gallon at a time. I use the spray bottle for everything, even carboys, I lay them on their side on a towel and roll them whil spraying till there is about a cup worth in there, then dump it. The only time I don't use the spray bottle is on the kegs, after cleaning, I dump in a cup or 2, swirl it around and leave it in there in the closet till I'm ready to fill it, then I swirl again and invert in the sink 30 minutes before filling.