Nwipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99blackgt

Reaction score
Ok, so i tried making a really hoppy IPA in a 2 gallon batch, turned out really well i think. I drank it all a while back, and now i'm going to do a bigger batch. This was actually one of my all time favorite home brews, and actually one of my favorite beers overall. Hope it turns out just as well the second time around. Tell me what you guys think.

Type: All Grain
Date: 8/1/2009
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Brewer: HRH
Boil Size: 7.97 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (15 Gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (10 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 58.82 %
3 lbs Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 23.53 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 11.76 %
12.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
3.00 oz Argentine Cascade [3.90 %] (60 min) Hops 32.4 IBU
3.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (40 min) Hops 40.1 IBU
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (40 min) Hops 26.7 IBU
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 18.4 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.062 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.060 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.009 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.96 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.65 %
Bitterness: 117.6 IBU Calories: 266 cal/pint
Est Color: 13.3 SRM Color: Color

I didn't know much about the Argentine Cascade so i read about them. I had purchased them for a different brew thinking they were the same as the american version and didn't use them because they are not supposed to be the same. So i figured i'd use them on this small batch and i ended up really enjoying the different flavor they gave this beer. It was really mild for as hoppy as the beer got, not over powering or too strong, if that makes any sense.

Most IPAs have a lot more hops in the last 10 minutes or so. Most of the aromatic oils are boiled off when hops are added before that. This is probably the reason the beer tasted as "mild" as it did.

Other than that it looks good. I have never used corn in an IPA, but it should help to dry the beer out and really accentuate the hops.

yeah, usually i will do a 10 min, 5 min, or flameout addition to a lot of my beers. But i didn't do it on this one for some reason and i was just really happy with how it turned out, so i'm going to give it another shot just how it was. It was still very hoppy, just not the hard to drink if you don't love hops kind of hoppy

Back