Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Hurricane Burner won't light

Old 08-01-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
BarnabyHooge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hurricane Burner won't light

Woke up early this morning to get my burner stand finished so I could brew today. Got it all done, took it outside and attached the NG hose from the grill and screwed it on the NG orifice from Hurricane. Turned all valves on and I hear gas, light a match.....nothing. The match stays lit, I move it around the burner and nothing... Any ideas? I was really looking forward to brewing on this thing today.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 134 Posts

Turn the gas off. Hold a match near one of the orifices and slowly open the valve. Very good chance the burner will light.

Too much gas and the air/fuel ratio is off.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-01-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Give it a little more time. Likely the gas hose has a lot of air in it. Once you get the air purged out it should light up right away. Purging the air may take a minute or more sometimes depending on the length of the hose.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Do you smell gas coming from the burner? Hearing might just mean its leaking. Some of those cast burners have blockages that need to be cleared, although both my Hurricane burners looked to be pretty well made. Mine light up pretty quick, certainly less than 10 seconds so check the valve to make sure it is clear as well.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
BarnabyHooge
Recipes 

I definitely smelled gas. I'll give it another go with the suggestions above. The hose should be filled with gas since it was already on the grill.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:21 PM   #6
BarnabyHooge
Recipes 

Nothing! I took the valve off, blew through it to make sure it was getting through. I lit the match and held it over different areas of the burner while slowly turning the valve but nothing happened. Even if the gas supply was to small it would still light, correct? The grill works great. This is really frustrating.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:58 PM   #7
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Are you sure you have the NG valve? Do you have a small set of drill bits that you can use to measure the orifice size? It should be rather large of an opening and look like it was drilled after the original manufacturing process (meaning - a not so well drill hole). If it is the propane orifice the burner might barely light or not at all. And in the daylight direct sun you might not even see the flames as they don't come up very high. I don't remember the exact number but the drilled out version was about 3/32".

edit 3/32" might have been for LP, NG would be bigger - look at these charts to help figure it out http://www.bacharach-training.com/orifice_chart.htm and at some point you should do the test from here http://www.komar.org/faq/manometer/ took me only a few minutes to set it up and test for my system.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:18 PM   #8
BarnabyHooge
Recipes 

I don't have any bits that small, but just looking it with a metal ruler it appears to be almost exactly 1/16 and it doesn't appear to have been drilled at any point.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:10 PM   #9
kladue
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 45 Posts

Close the air shutter all the way, put lit match above burner, open gas valve slowly until burner lights off, adjust air shutter until just tips of flames are yellow. NG is harder to light off than propane especially if the mixture is too lean.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:36 AM   #10
BarnabyHooge
Recipes 

Still nothing. I guess I should call NB Monday.