Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > cornelius keg help

Old 07-31-2009, 02:38 PM   #1
gnomepants
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default cornelius keg help

Hello- I hope this is where this thread should go as I am a newbie...
Ok some I preparing to do some cider, I plan on using my multitude of corny kegs that I was getting ready to throw away but was told no! you must use these to put your cider in! so every thing I have read says release pressure using pressure release valve in the center. Ok simple enough- mine has a little thing that sticks up but nothing to pull on or push in on to release pressure... Also this is a Coke one so it has the little pins on the post, how do I remove those with out messing up the little pins? is there a magical tool I must buy? what is said magical tool called? Im afraid when I go at removing them using a wrench it will be bad, very bad. I also dont want this thing to blow up on me, it still has a wee bit of soda left in it.rambling. sorry

Old 07-31-2009, 02:49 PM   #2
springer

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

Release the pressure on the out line its the one with 3 pins by pushing the poppet down . I use a crescent wrench but you can make or buy the tool it looks like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	keg_tool_side_on_02.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	12258  

Old 07-31-2009, 02:54 PM   #3
gnomepants
Recipes 

Ah Hah! so my guess is that a poppet is the little thing in the center? What size socket is that and did you use a dremel or something to cut those little slots? Thanks

Old 07-31-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Release the pressure on the out line its the one with 3 pins by pushing the poppet down . I use a crescent wrench but you can make or buy the tool it looks like this.
Noooo....use the IN post to vent pressure...the one with 2 pins. Using the out post will just spray beer/cider all over the place (unless the keg its totally empty). I keep a chopstick handy just for this.

HBS sell a pre-notched socket just for these pin-lock posts but it ain't cheap. It only hurts once though.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 07-31-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
springer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
Noooo....use the IN post to vent pressure...the one with 2 pins. Using the out post will just spray beer/cider all over the place. I keep a chopstick handy just for this.

HBS sell a pre-notched socket just for these pin-lock posts but it ain't cheap. It only hurts once though.

Doh ! Yes the in what the hell was I thinking ..

Old 07-31-2009, 02:59 PM   #6
springer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomepants View Post
Ah Hah! so my guess is that a poppet is the little thing in the center? What size socket is that and did you use a dremel or something to cut those little slots? Thanks
Thats an internet picture but sure a dremel would work .

Old 07-31-2009, 03:00 PM   #7
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Doh ! Yes the in what the hell was I thinking ..
I thought maybe you were being evil...lol.

I mean...it's a mistake you'd only make once right?
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 07-31-2009, 03:11 PM   #8
gnomepants
Recipes 

Thanks, im glad I checked before going in and pressing on the wrong side... Im glad to know that these arent messed up, I thought great, I have all of these little kegs and they are all broken. Thanks again!