Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Extract Twang & Aging

Old 07-31-2009, 04:55 AM   #11
yeoldebrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Revvy, That makes sense.

There's some interesting info about different yeast strains and diacetyls at the BSI site: BSI - providing microbrewers with fresh ale and lager yeast, laboratory analysis and microbiological expertise. Most of the info is overly technical for me. But in the 'True or False' section, the last T/F question claims all yeast strains produce about the same levels of diacetyl. What varies is the yeast's ability to clean them up. That might explain a lot.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:57 AM   #12
FlyingSailor
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

After reading this thread and only going thru 2 brews so far, it seems that the issue of green beer is a big one. I noticed both my beers got much better after they had sat in the keg for several weeks, with the last pull from the keg being the best. Seems like if I had let it age even longer it only would have gotten better. My question deals with how do you accomplish bottle conditioning in kegs?

Old 07-31-2009, 06:57 AM   #13
Austinhomebrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 91

What kind of extract did you use? What brand and the container?

Forrest

Old 07-31-2009, 06:59 AM   #14
Austinhomebrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Since what newbies call extract twang is usually green beer, then if the newbie started with all-grain, he would have All-Grain twang. It feels good to say All-Grain twang. Everyone say it with me...

All....Grain....Twang

Forrest

Old 07-31-2009, 09:25 AM   #15
yeoldebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Forrest, that just may catch on.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:50 PM   #16
ChrisS68
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't know if I've ever had "extract twang". In fact, I'm still not exactly sure what extract twang is. I've had a couple of beers with off flavors, but I was able to narrow those down to errors in the bewing process.

The only thing I can say about extract not tasting "right", is that it tends to have a slightly thicker mouthfeel and seems more malty - less fermentable perhaps? I don't know if that's from the age of the extract, how the wort was mashed, or simply the nature of the beast. Of course, mouthfeel can be adjusted some with carbonation. I tend to brew lighter beers, such as pilsners and pale ales, so the fermentability of the wort is going to be more of a factor.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:22 PM   #17
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2889 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew View Post
Since what newbies call extract twang is usually green beer, then if the newbie started with all-grain, he would have All-Grain twang. It feels good to say All-Grain twang. Everyone say it with me...

All....Grain....Twang

Forrest
And I recall a couple of newby all grain threads that were exactly that. They said "Hey how come my AG beer has that same extract twang my extract brews got?"

To which are answer was..."Because it isn't extract twang, it's green beer."

(actually Forrest I believe it was once you who posted in all caps "EXTRACT TWANG IS A MYTH!")

It was that comment from you that led me to look into the supposed extract twang threads further...and realize that most of the posters were drinking really young beers, and mis diagnosing it.

In fact I have said repeatedly that brewers, especially new brewers should not diagnose their beer until it has been in the bottle 6 weeks or more. Becasue that's seems like reasonable time for most beers to pass out of the green phase. Then if it tastes like butter, you can pronounce it as diacytal, if it's too bitter than saying it's Astringent, etc, etc....

Many green beers can exhibit what appears to be one of the "off flavors" but as opposed to the real issues, if it's becasue it is green, it will fade. It it's 6 0r 8 weeks and there's been no decrease in the flavor, THEN break out that copy of Palmer and look at the list, and figure what went wrong, so you can know what to do differently NEXT time.

But I've also, as you know have found out that LONG TERM forgetting of beers has also ended up clearing out and mellowing some really bad issues as well. And I'm not the only one....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/neve...en-beer-73254/

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-31-2009, 06:58 PM   #18
Austinhomebrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thanks for posting and schooling the newbies. It just feels liberating to say "All-Grain Twang". There are a lot of all-grainers that look down on extract brewers and use the false notion of "extract twang" to back up thier snobbery.

I have sold over 135,000 pounds of liquid malt extract so far this year and no complaints about "extract twang". Lets just be happy that so many people are brewing and not worry that they are not brewing all-grain.

Forrest

Old 07-31-2009, 07:17 PM   #19
JoeMama
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisS68 View Post
I don't know if I've ever had "extract twang". In fact, I'm still not exactly sure what extract twang is.
When you start having country music sounds coming out of your mouth when you first taste your batch - that is extract 'twang'.
-Me

Eggo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I waffle.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:18 PM   #20
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2889 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew View Post
Thanks for posting and schooling the newbies. It just feels liberating to say "All-Grain Twang". There are a lot of all-grainers that look down on extract brewers and use the false notion of "extract twang" to back up thier snobbery.

I have sold over 135,000 pounds of liquid malt extract so far this year and no complaints about "extract twang". Lets just be happy that so many people are brewing and not worry that they are not brewing all-grain.

Forrest
Thanks Forrest!!!

There's at least 2 recipes of mine that honestly taste better with extract, than my allgrain conversion does. They're both clones, and honestly extralight dry malt extract tastes much better in combination with the specialty grains, than a base of 2-row...No matter how much tweaking I have done, the extract recipes nail it dead on.

As I said on one of the first blogs I ever wrote Revvy's Blog; Why can't we all just get along It is NOT the type of brewing, it's the skill of the brewer that makes great beer. I have tasted plenty of great extract recipes and plenty of crappy all grain recipes (including a few of my own).

A lot of people make crappy extract beer (usually simply with their impatience) then blame the extract and NOT their brewing....and quite a few then jump to all grain without mastering some basic things, like hydrometer reading and patience....and then makes crappy all grain beers.

There is plenty of info these days and plenty of threads here on how to make the best beer, regardless of the ingredients. There is plenty of information on how to make great extract beers (late extract addition, full boils, etc) heck, there's even info on how to make the best kit and kilo (including mr beer) beer possible. You just have to work on your process.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew