Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > My Brew Build - Elm Street Brewery - Part 2 - The Grain Mill

Old 07-28-2009, 01:17 AM   #1
DarkSide
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My Brew Build - Elm Street Brewery - Part 2 - The Grain Mill

Hi All,

I'm back for part 2. If you didn't read my introduction, basically I had been planning an all-grain brew set-up for the past 10 years. Well, I finally finished and am detailing the whole build over several posts. Welcome to Part 2.

Back in the early spring I started ordering parts that would make up the final brewery build. One of the first things I ordered was a grain mill, a Crankandstein adjustable 2 roller mill. It was just the base, here's a link to have a look:

http://www.crankandstein.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_ id=1

Now you can get the hopper and mill together, but I found someone with a great little page where he detailed how to make a basic hopper from plywood. If your interested here is the link:

http://www.slobrewer.com/howto/building-a-compact-crankandstein-mill-base-and-hopper/

As you'll see from the pics below, instead of making a base to fit over a bucket, I converted an old change table from our daughter's nursery that we were going to trow away. I began by laying the mill base on top of the table. Right over top of a drawer:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ESB_grain_mill_build_1.jpg
Views:	1300
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	12211

Then I traced the outline of the base on the table. To get an exact layout of where the bolt holes were on the bottom of the base, I took a piece of paper, placed it on the bottom of the mill and rubbed a pencil over it. It made an exact rubbing of the bottom layout. Then all I had to do was lay the paper over the outline that I had traced and mark the hole spots for drilling:

Name:	ESB_grain_mill_build_2.jpg
Views:	1284
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	12212

Then I drilled the holes for the attaching bolts and the actual hole for the grain to fall thru:

Name:	ESB_grain_mill_build_3.jpg
Views:	1278
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	12213

I built the plywood base that surrounds the mill base and did a dry fit:

Name:	ESB_grain_mill_build_4_base.jpg
Views:	1300
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	12214

Then I built the hopper, screwed the hopper to the plywood base, then mounted the whole unit over the mill and screwed it to the table top:

Name:	ESB_grain_mill_build_6_whole.jpg
Views:	1316
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	12216

That's it! The mill sits over top of a drawer. So I have a plastic container that sits inside the drawer, when I mill the grains they all fall into the container below. Then I pull the container out with the milled grains, ready to go into the mashtun.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
Orangevango
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The hopper looks a bit small and a bit steep, otherwise it seems nice.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
DarkSide
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangevango View Post
The hopper looks a bit small and a bit steep, otherwise it seems nice.
Yeah...it's not very big. It holds about 3 to 4lbs when completely full. Right now I'm making 5 gallon batches, so I'm not putting thru a lot of grain. I use my 18V cordless drill to run it. It puts that 3 to 4lbs thru in less then 30 seconds.

Here's a better view if the hopper:

Name:	ESB_grain_mill_build_5_hopper.jpg
Views:	1180
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	12220

Old 07-28-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Very innovative, a nice approach- but I don't have the floor space to dedicate to a grain mill. I just got a Corona/Victoria mill, and mounted it in a plastic bucket. Good crushes, and very compact. Just put it back on the shelf when I'm done........

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:08 AM   #5
DarkSide
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico567 View Post
Very innovative, a nice approach- but I don't have the floor space to dedicate to a grain mill. I just got a Corona/Victoria mill, and mounted it in a plastic bucket. Good crushes, and very compact. Just put it back on the shelf when I'm done........
The table serves 2 purposes. I have the grain mill on the top, but I use the shelves and another cupboard area as a storage area for kegs and other equipment.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:30 AM   #6
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Nice stuff, but you may end up building a bigger hopper later, and obviously you have the skills to do so. Storage is a big plus.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:25 PM   #7
DarkSide
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavanza View Post
Nice stuff, but you may end up building a bigger hopper later, and obviously you have the skills to do so. Storage is a big plus.
Yea, It's like everything else in life. You start out small but end up going bigger and better eventually.