Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Plastic conical prasies

Old 09-01-2006, 09:25 PM   #1
nick79brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Plastic conical prasies

Just wanted to share my experience ive had with my minibrew conical! I love it! Today i will put brew # 7 in it. The plastic is about 1.5 inches thick and very strudy. It is easy to clean, easy to pull out trub before fermentaion.Hharvesting yeast is a breeze. No need to sanitize tubes, siphons and exta carboys for secondary. Aslo you can check gravity from the racking port. All for about $200! One down side is that the stand is a little shaky, just dont run into it while wrestling with the dog....weizen all over the damn floor! anyways i think that for the money if you are a serious brewer these are just as good as the $500 stainless steel.
www.minibrew.com
nick

On Tap: Strong Honey Gold
On Tap: Pacific Pale #2
Brewing: Hemp Nut Brown

Old 09-01-2006, 11:34 PM   #2
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I kind of like that 6.5 gallon model. Is there a easy way to keep the temperature stable. I am finding that fermenting in the mid 60s to be most helpful in making my beers better. I am using a carboy and ice bath currently and it works pretty well in my area.

Old 09-02-2006, 01:59 AM   #3
Erbium:YAG

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just received my MiniBrew 6.5 from Ebay, brand new for $89. I'm glad to hear there's another happy owner out there. One thing I picked up for mine though is a stainless steel, constant tension, t-bolt hose clamp for the rubber lid. I want to be sure of an absolute air tight seal. It's item number 8946K38 from McMaster-Carr. It fits the base of the lid perfectly (you have to completely undo the nut first).

Old 09-02-2006, 03:45 AM   #4
John Beere
Deep Six Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have their 8 gallon fermentor and like it a lot, but I gave up on sealing the lid after the first time I used it. I plugged both threaded holes in the top, removed the rubber seal, and began trusting the principals of open fermentation. This might not be for everyone but it has worked out just fine for me.

Old 09-02-2006, 04:32 AM   #5
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

The 8 gallon and the 15 gallon both seem like they would be a nice, useful size for the money.

What is the issue with the lid? If I had one, I'd prefer not to trust to the principles of open fermentation with my three dogs and my cat in the house.

Old 09-02-2006, 02:06 PM   #6
Erbium:YAG

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The lid on the 6.5 is made out of a thin, soft rubber. The fit over the rim is snug enough that it really shouldn't be an issue. I just like to be a little overcautious, maybe too much so. That's why I added the t-bolt hose clamp to mine. It's a perfect fit and for seven dollars I know for sure I have an airtight seal. As far as the 8 and 15 gal models go, they have a completely different lid. All in all, I don't think there are any issues. From what I've read in other forums, people love these fermenters.

Old 09-02-2006, 05:48 PM   #7
John Beere
Deep Six Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have no real understanding on the lid for the 6.5 gallon fermentor - just the larger ones above that size.

The lid on their 8 gallon+ fermentor is made out of the same material as the rest of it - only slightly thinner. It forms a really good seal without a gasket. The issue is the damn rubber gasket used to seal the lid - its near impossible to get it on and off.

From Minibrew's website concerning sealing the lid:

"We have advocated for many years that this is not necessary. The CO2 builds up inside forming a blanket of gas that protects the ferment. Bacteria will not penetrate this blanket of CO2 gas."

Old 09-02-2006, 06:03 PM   #8
Exo

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beere
"We have advocated for many years that this is not necessary. The CO2 builds up inside forming a blanket of gas that protects the ferment. Bacteria will not penetrate this blanket of CO2 gas."
IMHO that is kinda ridiculous for them to say. In general, bacteria doesn't go flying through the air. Usually it's carried by dust and everyone can agree that dust has weight and will settle. A layer of CO2 isn't going to "stop" it or even slow it from settling. If it lands on your krausen sooner or later it will get into your beer once the krausen falls...but your ABV should handle most organisms at that point.
Wasp Bitten IPA (a Walker-San clone);Cheesefood's Caramel Creme; Wee Heavy Scottish Ale;
Bottled/Conditioning:
Flyin' Hornet Pale Ale(Mirror Pond clone);Oktoberfest Ale
Drinking:
Boom-Boom Apricot Hefeweisen; Forbidden Ale;Pale-Ass Ale (SNPA Clone); Ol' Man Winter Ale
On-deck:
Dead Guy clone
Planning:
Walker's Espresso Stout; BrewPastor's Bastard Lager
Quote:
But honey, how else am I going to get enough bottles for my next batch? *burp*...*fart*

Old 09-02-2006, 06:38 PM   #9
nick79brew
Recipes 

yeah the first time i use my conical i thought fermentation had not begun because my airlock wasnt moving. I then figured out that the pressure was pushing co2 out the top. a heavy book on top of the lid fixed it!

Old 01-28-2008, 06:50 PM   #10
RoseburgBrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick79brew
Just wanted to share my experience ive had with my minibrew conical! I love it! Today i will put brew # 7 in it. The plastic is about 1.5 inches thick and very strudy. It is easy to clean, easy to pull out trub before fermentaion.Hharvesting yeast is a breeze. No need to sanitize tubes, siphons and exta carboys for secondary. Aslo you can check gravity from the racking port. All for about $200! One down side is that the stand is a little shaky, just dont run into it while wrestling with the dog....weizen all over the damn floor! anyways i think that for the money if you are a serious brewer these are just as good as the $500 stainless steel.
www.minibrew.com
nick

On Tap: Strong Honey Gold
On Tap: Pacific Pale #2
Brewing: Hemp Nut Brown
I just got the 15 G minibrew fermenter and am still learning some of the nuances of it. How to take the gravity out of the racking port and is it bad to take it by taking the top off and puting the hydrometer in?