Engineering at breweries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kxmjb

Reaction score
Does anybody here work in a brewery? I am a mechanical engineering student in my junior year and I have a strong desire to work in a brewery. I know that breweries hire engineers. Could anybody tell me what it is that engineers do in a brewery? I know it seems like a stupid question, but I really can't think of what they would be doing. Is it heard of for smaller breweries to offer internships?
I'm not sure if anybody is going to be able to answer these things, but thanks in advance anyway.

Though I don't work in a brewery I am sure they have process monitoring and control systems in place. This falls more into Industrial/Electrical engineering. Most places don't have an engineer on staff and use engineering firms to design, install, and maintain these systems.

+1

I worked at a small brewery in the late 80's and the only engineers ever hired were the ones who designed the brew house.

+1 to above.

You might be able to get a position at one of the very large breweries, but you're probably better off looking into a brewing equipment company. A ME's expertise would be more useful there.

Furthermore, my understanding after talking to Eric (the brewer at Rochester Mills in Rochester, MI) is that getting into most smaller breweries is a matter of right resume, right time.

Brewers, assistant brewers and other brewery/bar employees generally aren't paid very well, also. As a junior, I'm sure you've looked up the average starting salary for MEs. Take the average pay and divide it in half, you might be able to find that.

I agree with what is said above. Come up to Alaska and work with me moving oil through pipes and just brew for fun.

Latest posts

Back