My fridge died....I think, how do I check the condencer? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > My fridge died....I think, how do I check the condencer?
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2009, 02:05 PM   #1
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
the sun
Posts: 15,494
Liked 327 Times on 323 Posts



I have been hooking my ranco up to the garage fridge to do fermenting lately. On my last beer, I did this and the fridge stopped cooling after like 5 days. The light would come on when it got to the right temp but the condenser would not kick in and hence the no cooling.

When in that case, I unplugged the fridge, moved the fermentors back to a water batch and gave the fridge a 24 hour break. I plugged it back in and was working again.

Now I am on another batch, about 5 days in and the same thing although I can't get it to come back on but I am not as patient this time as I have a lager going.

Does anyone know how to troubleshoot this situation? Any ideas? I am getting fed up with this crappy thing.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
bmckee56
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Coraopolis, PA (Near Pittsburgh)
Posts: 911
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Does the refridgerator work normally without the Ranco control?

Is the original temperature control holding the unit out. Set the inside controller to it's lowest (coldest) setting and use your Ranco to control box temperature.

Salute!


__________________
On Tap #1 - East End Brew
On Tap #2 - Nada
On Tap #3 - Nuttin-Honey Ale
Fermenting - BMB's Cascading Citra Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:18 PM   #3
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
the sun
Posts: 15,494
Liked 327 Times on 323 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bmckee56 View Post
Does the refridgerator work normally without the Ranco control?

Is the original temperature control holding the unit out. Set the inside controller to it's lowest (coldest) setting and use your Ranco to control box temperature.

Salute!
The cooling portion of the fridge will not come on even if I plug it straight into the wall. It is over 70 in the fridge now so I am pretty sure it would turn on. I don't hear any noises or anything coming.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
karmabrew
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Stephens City, VA
Posts: 111
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Humann, I'm in the same boat. I don't have a temp controller, but I was using the beer fridge to store the bottled beer. When I opened the fridge one day, it was just blowing out regular air. Does anyone know if I just need more freon, or is the whole compressor shot??

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:24 PM   #5
kladue
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Dec 2006
Turner, Oregon, Oregon most of the time now
Posts: 2,305
Liked 53 Times on 47 Posts


Check the defrost timer, it probably died or has not cycled compressor back on yet. Most companies put it at the bottom front behind kick plate, put a screwdriver in center and rotate until compressor kicks in again.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #6
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
the sun
Posts: 15,494
Liked 327 Times on 323 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by karmabrew View Post
Humann, I'm in the same boat. I don't have a temp controller, but I was using the beer fridge to store the bottled beer. When I opened the fridge one day, it was just blowing out regular air. Does anyone know if I just need more freon, or is the whole compressor shot??
Well, I would be further than I am now if it actually put out air, but I have absolutely nothing except the light, which doesn't really help for cooling

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:45 PM   #7
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
the sun
Posts: 15,494
Liked 327 Times on 323 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kladue View Post
Check the defrost timer, it probably died or has not cycled compressor back on yet. Most companies put it at the bottom front behind kick plate, put a screwdriver in center and rotate until compressor kicks in again.
I didn't see anything to dial with a screwdriver. There was a plastic piece that looks like it was holding a metal cylinder looking thing to the center frame. It would twist one way, would not go back though, so I gave it a twist and plugged it back and bam, back in business. I don't know if that did it or it just needed more time, but it is back on again.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:53 PM   #8
karmabrew
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Stephens City, VA
Posts: 111
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
I didn't see anything to dial with a screwdriver. There was a plastic piece that looks like it was holding a metal cylinder looking thing to the center frame. It would twist one way, would not go back though, so I gave it a twist and plugged it back and bam, back in business. I don't know if that did it or it just needed more time, but it is back on again.
Awesome humann, glad to see you're back in business! I think my compressor just plain died.. I've got an older GE fridge..oh well.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:50 PM   #9
kladue
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Dec 2006
Turner, Oregon, Oregon most of the time now
Posts: 2,305
Liked 53 Times on 47 Posts


The defrost timer runs when the compressor runs, usually they have an 8 hour cycle time, with the controller shutting of power they can make for a looong defrost time.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:38 PM   #10
samc
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Portland OR
Posts: 5,373
Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts


I guess that is one of the advantages to using a manual defrost freezer for fermenting & keezering.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Keg fridge died...questions arised. ronjer Bottling/Kegging 3 09-05-2008 10:30 PM
Fermentation Fridge Died (kinda) aekdbbop Equipment/Sanitation 6 06-26-2008 03:14 AM
My lager fridge / kegerator has died. Donasay Equipment/Sanitation 4 05-09-2008 05:27 PM
Fridge Check brewjacket Kegerators & Keezers 12 03-07-2008 02:37 PM
Fridge Died dhaas66 Bottling/Kegging 1 08-15-2007 06:52 PM


Forum Jump