confessions of a fraggin beer snob - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > confessions of a fraggin beer snob

Old 07-26-2009, 05:32 PM   #21
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Jul 2008
Santa Rosa, CA
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I always love walking into a party and getting handed a beer that I don't like. I drink it politely and then look for something else. If I don't find something else, then I nurse that bad boy all night long.

"Matt! So glad you came, I just opened this awesome locally brewed Lagunitas IPA, they're from Petaluma you know? Enjoy the party!"

Old 07-26-2009, 07:00 PM   #22
dontman

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Philly, PA
Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

I was in Florida for a vacation/conference a while back and they had an open bar most of the time that served beer and wine . They served Lite, Bud Light, Corona and this beer that everyone was drinking and raving about: Land Shark. For those of you not familiar with it, it is designed for people who think Corona is not quite skunky enough. It is bottled in clear glass and at the bar, an outdoor bar mind you, in full sun, they were lining up the opened beers on top of the bar. I kid you not, you could smell the skunk from 10 feet away. I drank iced tea.

This was free beer. After the first party, I went out the next day and bought a case of Sierra Nevada to keep in the room and I would just head back to the room and fill a glass whenever necessary. Best $24 I ever spent.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:13 PM   #23
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Liked 342 Times on 169 Posts

Land Shark, aka budweiser in a clear bottle.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:38 PM   #24
SmugMug
Recipes 

May 2009
Alabama
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If someone opens a beer and hands it to me, I'll gladly drink it (no matter what style/brand) to be polite. But if someone says "beer's in the fridge, help yourself" and it's bmc, I'll grab a soda instead. I prefer to keep the headaches at bay if I can.
That said, if I'm on the beach or at the river, then I will readily reach for a bll. It's very easy to drink in the sun and I haven't had a headache because of it yet. But there have been numerous occasions where I have left the store empty handed because I couldn't find something that I really liked. SWMBO has quit buying beer for me when she goes, because she's afraid I won't drink what she buys, even if I keep telling her that I will. If nothing else, I'll happily choke down a couple of Grolsch just for the bottles.

Beer: Is there anything it can't do?

Old 07-27-2009, 02:56 PM   #25
springer

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Wappingers falls NY
Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts

I am really not a beer snob I just can't drink Bud products instant headache . ... But when I am invited to a party I will bring a couple of sixers or a case of Poulaner or Hoegarden etc. I feel funny showing up empty handed anyway.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:25 PM   #26
SmugMug
Recipes 

May 2009
Alabama
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I am really not a beer snob I just can't drink Bud products instant headache . ... But when I am invited to a party I will bring a couple of sixers or a case of Poulaner or Hoegarden etc. I feel funny showing up empty handed anyway.
I'm the same way, if I know there will be beer consumed at social event I'm going to, I'll bring at least a 6'er with me to share. I always felt guilty about drinking someone's beer without replacing it.

Beer: Is there anything it can't do?

Old 07-27-2009, 03:33 PM   #27
Gremlyn

Recipes 

Mar 2009
San Diego, CA
Liked 29 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
I agree. these threads of how all of a sudden bmc is no longer good enough for an occasional drink is foolish. Don't tell me you started drinking craft beer and have never drank cheap beer.
The first beer I drank (not just took random sips of to try) was a Guinness. I've only ever ONCE, and I really am not lying or exaggerating, have ever drank and finished a _____ light. It was a Coors that my neighbour gave me when I foolishly agreed to a beer while over at his place. I just wasn't thinking... I've had my fair share of Heineken, and though I find that far less offensive than BMC, I haven't touched a drop of it since I started brewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceedubya View Post
... So yes, I would rather pay for a good beer than drink a free crappy beer...
I did the same recently. My work took us to a suite at a Padres game that had free drinks, but all BMC. I kept going to the bar a few floors up that served Stone IPA and Sam. Everyone kept saying, "Hey man... free beer is free beer". I beg to differ.

I'm always very polite about my refusal to drink ****e beer when with people, unless they're good friends, because they know better! I usually just say something like, "No thanks, I have to drive" (because a beer or two would inhibit my ability to do that, ROFL...) or "I've been drinking all week, need to take a break".

If I'm going somewhere for a party, I always stop on the way and bring my own. Last time I brought and finished a 750 mL of Delirium Tremens AND a bomber of Fat Tire to chase it down

Old 07-27-2009, 03:56 PM   #28
Hambone

Recipes 

May 2009
Across the Lake, LA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I agree with most people on here. Why drink something that you don't like? If someone gets offended that you won't drink their beer, they're retarded. Just say, hey man that's more beer for you. I'm sorry but I don't have the mentality that beer is beer. I knew this guy in college who always said, hey man head is head. Well guess what? Head from a hot girl is way better than head from a fat/ugly/smelly/man girl. I guess that I just have standards.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:54 AM   #29
ldgenius2000
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Gainesville, Fl

Life's too short to voluntarily choke down something you don't like. That's not snobby that's just common sense. Snobby is turning your nose up at someone who does like x light and making them feel inferior for it. I may not enjoy it myself but hey it's their taste buds. I don't appreciate people turning their nose up at me because I love Micky D's and so I don't judge what they eat or drink either.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:02 AM   #30
ThreeDogsNE
Good for what ales you
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jul 2008
, Southwest Iowa
Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
I agree. these threads of how all of a sudden bmc is no longer good enough for an occasional drink is foolish. Don't tell me you started drinking craft beer and have never drank cheap beer..
I can't quite match Gremlyn1. I did finish a few Schlitz behind the neighbor's hedge at age 14. I haven't finished a single American light lager since then, nearly 4 decades. I just don't like them. The next beer I actually finished was a Pilsner Urquell, or two. I tried some Bud Select at a wedding reception this past weekend just to see if my tastes had evolved. Awfully short on flavor and body for my tastes. It was moving well with the wedding crowd, but I took mine back to the bar and got a whiskey sour. They had no better beer in the place, or so they said.

To each his own. I see no point in drinking something distasteful to me, whether it is beer, wine, iced tea, bad lemonade, unpleasant soda pop, or even off-tasting well water. If I just wanted to get drunk, the whiskey straight up would be a lot more efficient, and taste better to me. Most places have someplace where I can discretely disown or dump something without causing hard feelings. There is no need to give offense, but no need to accept it either.