Double IPA Easy Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Up North

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
If you want, I don\'t
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Nice, clean, hoppy and potent. Very simple and delicious
I have made this recipe a few times now because it is easy. I make a ten gallon batch, but I scaled it to 5 for the recipe. Great hop bitterness and some awesome hop aromatics. Clean crisp taste. The numbers are approximate because it all comes down to efficiency and AA. My last batch used some low AA hops and so I had to adjust for that. Enjoy!

Easy Peasy Imperial IPA

15 lbs Pale Two Row (British or American depending of taste)
.75lbs Crystal 40L
1lb Flaked Barley

.5oz Centennial FWH
1oz each Centennial and Cascade (60min)
1oz each Centennial and Cascade (20min)
1oz each Centennial and Cascade (5min)
1.5oz Centennial Dry Hopped at day 10 for 10 days
1 oz Cascade Dry Hopped at day 10 for 10 days

EDIT* This is my base hopping amount, I am known to add up to 12oz if it pleases me and I have the hops on hand ;)

Whirlfloc in the kettle, 1 tablet
US-05 x 1 packet

Being an Imperial I like to mash around 149-151* or so to dry this guy out quite a bit. If it falls a little then no worries because the yeast is going to have a dog of a time anyways to eat as much yeast as possible. I find that the US-05 can attenuate to 85% often, so that keeps me sane.

Mash at 149-151* for 75minutes, sparge, boil 75-90minutes (depending on setup). Ferment around 65* for ten days and then rack to secondary along with dry hops. Keg or bottle after an additional 10 days and crash cooling if possible.

Enjoy!

Recently brewed this again, here is a picture of it. Light was dwindling so it is a little bit lighter than this picture, I will try to get a better one soon.

photo+2-778352.jpg

Hey Matt,

Used this recipe as a base, missed some of the numbers and there were a couple changes but here is how it stands:

Yeast: American Ale Blend – About ½ gal starter using wort from mash
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1.065
Final Gravity: TBC (Measured last night at 1.009 so around 85% attenuation)
IBU: TBC - Need to get this off beersmith
Boiling Time: 90min
Color: 7/8
Primary Fermentation: 10 days (64-68°) Brought it up to low-mid 70s to get it started on the first day
Secondary Fermentation: 10 days (64-68°) aiming to cold crash after this
Tasting Notes: TBC - hoppy nose at the moment before dry hopping

Malt
15lbs Pale 2 Row (US)
1lb Crystal 40L
1lb Flaked Barley

Mash at 149-151° for 77 minutes

Hops
1oz Centennial (FWH – First Wort Hopping)

Add to boil
60min (30min after start)
1oz Centennial
1oz Cascade

20min (70min after start)
1oz Centennial
1oz Cascade

5min (85min after start)
1oz Centennial
1oz Cascade

1min (89min after start)
1oz Centennial
1oz Cascade

Skipped your holding step and just cooled using immersion chiller – took at least 20-25min to cool to pitching temp as I ran out of ice for my pump water. Also didn't whirlpool correctly so got a fair amount of trub but have been dumping around 1-2 cups out each day as I have a conical and some of the proteins are good for the yeast anyway.

Dry Hop in Fermenter
Day 10 for 10 Days
1oz Centennial
1oz Cascade

Whirlfloc in the kettle, 1 tablet
Fermcap, 2 drops per gallon

Fingers crossed this is going to turn out nice as it is my first ever beer!

So I tapped my attempt at this beer over the weekend and its pretty damn good. Good mouth feel, citrus/grapefruit nose and initial hop bitterness that mellows into a slight malty sweet finish which is smooth and easy to drink in the sun.

My only criticism would be that it is lacking in the hop department slightly but everyone else loved it!

Cheers Matt Up North!

Back