I like paper catalogs better than the intarweb - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > I like paper catalogs better than the intarweb

Old 09-09-2006, 05:30 AM   #21
disaffected
Recipes 

Aug 2006
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwAMi75
BFF: About that barnyard smell. I was about to light up an H. Upmann maduro the other night, and it smells just like a horse barn. A pretty dirty one at that. I tossed it back into the humidor for some rest. Whaddya think?
I don't know, man. I got into that funky barnyard smell when I started smoking maduros. I just like it, so long as there's no mold smell. I've never had H. Upmann cigars, though.

Old 09-09-2006, 05:33 AM   #22
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Mar 2005
Midwest City, OK
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Well hell, I'll probably just smoke it tomorrow, then! It couldn't possibly taste as bad as it smells......
Gone unsung for far too long

Old 09-09-2006, 01:59 PM   #23
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Calgary
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwAMi75
Actually, if you re-read my post, you'll see that I never lit it. Hell, I never even cut it. I just pulled it out, smelled it, got creeped out, and put it back up.

f00!!!

Yeah, my bad, the funny thing is that I noticed that while reading your post quoted in another post.

Here's a couple good tricks for your humidor by the way: Fill your sponge up with a mix of 50/50 distilled water and propylene glycol (available at most pharmacies.) This creates an an-isotropic solution which will hold the humidity right at 70% untill you run out of water. All you need to do for maintenance is add distilled water when needed - you never need to add more glycol. You should also calibrate your hygrometer. To do this, put it in a ziploc bag with a bottlecap filled with salt and a few drops of water. You want some of the salt to be dry. The humidity in the bag will stabilize at exactly 75% but be patient and let it sit for at least 24 hours. Now you know what your hygro reads at 75%.

Puff away...

Old 09-09-2006, 06:41 PM   #24
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2005
Barony of Fuquay-Varina, NC
Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I actually like the barnyard smell...the Cubans seem to have it in spades. I don't know that it necessarily implies a good smoke, but it's a good place to start for me.

We can start a stogie thread...as to splitting this one that would require me boning up on my super duper supreme powers, but maybe I need to.

I tried to by propylene glycol down here at a pharmacy, but I either couldn't find it or they wouldn't sell it to me. I ultimately went with the humidity beads (not those beads, CC), which work really well as long as you add distilled water.

Old 09-09-2006, 07:46 PM   #25
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Mar 2005
Midwest City, OK
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

OK, I'll start the stogie thread sometime soon. Last post here!

I've been using the pre-mixed proplyne glycol/water solution in my humidor. It seems to work well. I also calibrated my hygrometer just as you said, CC, but the instructions said to only do it for 6 hours? With the correction, mine is supposedly running right at 65-67%. I might re-calibrate it once I get moved next week just to be sure.

I might just fire up that funky smelling Upmann tonight and see how it is.
Gone unsung for far too long

Old 09-10-2006, 04:54 AM   #26
God Emporer BillyBrew

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Melnibone
Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Cheyco
Hey who let that guy in here who's trying to keep the original thread alive?!?!
Sorry for the thread jack!

Primary :Bloody Nose Porter
Primary 2: Bloody Nose Porter
Secondary: Blackberry Melomel
Secondary 2:air
Bottled : 14 Pound Hammer Cider, Punkin Ale, know ale, Domino wheat
Keg 1: **** Inside Her
Keg 2: IPA
Keg 3: one on a weeknight, two on a weekend IIPA
Future : Ginger Cream Ale,