Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > just took a 2 week gravity reading

Old 07-22-2009, 11:26 PM   #1
Dave6187
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default just took a 2 week gravity reading

Well I was planning on either transferring to secondary today, or conditions permitting bottling. So I popped the lid off, took my sample and tested it and it was at 1.010 (expected to be between 1.010-1.012) but it was still pretty cloudy. I poured my sample into a glass and stuck it in a fridge for a bit so it can settle out some and then I'll pull my first taste test on it I'm probably going to transfer to secondary for a week just so I can free up my bucket and give it a little more time to clear up, but dunno if I'll be able to do it tonight. if I end up not racking tonight, any reason why it can't stay where it's at for another week?

I'm really ecstatic about this, cuz it looks like beer, smells like beer.. as much as it surprises me to say it, I think I actually made beer

Bucket:autumn amber ale
Carboy:
Bottled:

Reason: added picture

Old 07-22-2009, 11:29 PM   #2
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 259 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Damn, Dave, you may have just made beer.

No problem leaving it in the primary for another week.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:05 AM   #3
cvstrat
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That... looks like beer to me, and a damn good one!

I agree that if you are pretty busy just go ahead and leave it in the primary until it clears up, even if it's a week or two. The last amber ale I made I did 3 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary or so. I was carbed in the keg after a week but was only so-so. The flavor by the end of the keg, which was about 3 weeks later, was amazing. My point is that I would leave the beer in the primary/secondary for at least a week, possibly two. Then don't touch a bottle until 3 weeks after you bottle it.

Of course I know this is F'ing impossible on your first beer. I think after a few days I started cracking them open every other day or so and checking on the progress. Good luck either way!

Old 07-23-2009, 12:32 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2888 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

If you are going to have it three weeks in primary there is absolutely no point to secondarying it at all. Just bottle it next week...

The purpose of a secondary is to either add stuff to it, or to let the beer clear. Leaving it for 3-4 weeks in primary is going to clear it up as much if NOT MORE in my opinion as racking to a secondary after 2 weeks for another 2 weeks would.

So there is really no point if you have been letting it clear, and letting the yeast clean up the beer, in letting it further sit in another vessel....it really isn't, after three weeks in primary, going to contribute any more to the clarity and flavor of the beer, it's just going to delay drinking it further.

Many of us opt for the long primary No Secondary method...3-4 weeks in primary, then to keg or bottle.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-23-2009, 12:41 AM   #5
jpc
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 49 Posts

...and get back to Quattroworld, while you're at it!!!

Old 07-23-2009, 01:12 AM   #6
HillbillyDeluxe
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The flavor by the end of the keg, which was about 3 weeks later, was amazing.

WTF!!!!? A Keg lasts you 3 weeks! I get 3 days to a week, maybe!

Possum Knob Brewery and Stables
Possum Knob, KY.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:31 AM   #7
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
If you are going to have it three weeks in primary there is absolutely no point to secondarying it at all. Just bottle it next week...

The purpose of a secondary is to either add stuff to it, or to let the beer clear.
Revvy, you must learn to think outside the box.
Secondarying may not be necessary for the beer to be secondaried, but it frees up a primary and allows another brew to be started.

-a.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:36 AM   #8
Dave6187
Recipes 

Just tasted it, was a lot different than I was expecting, I can def say that. Had a very smooth mouthfeel, went down smooth, and was incredibly well balanced. In a way, a little more bland than I was expecting too, but being is this is my first taste of green uncarbed beer, I don't have much to compare it to. Man, I can't wait till I can pop open a bottle of this....

Bucket:autumn amber ale
Carboy:
Bottled:

Old 07-23-2009, 02:14 AM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2888 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
Revvy, you must learn to think outside the box.
Secondarying may not be necessary for the beer to be secondaried, but it frees up a primary and allows another brew to be started.

-a.
No, you must think outside the box...get more fermenters. I have 9 of various sizes....Besides, buckets are cheap.

What are they 10-12 bucks these days?

And as much as I am not a worry wort, racking to secondary un-necessarily, could be a point of over oxydation/and or infection. Plus it is one more piece of gear that needs to be sanitized and then cleaned after use, along with the autosiphon, etc.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-23-2009, 02:00 PM   #10
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Plus it is one more piece of gear that needs to be sanitized and then cleaned after use, along with the autosiphon, etc.
And us non-bottlers are supposed to be lazy.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk