Bottling from taps - Perlick owners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
So most of us know of the BMBF by now, and some may have seen my take on it, bottling straight from the tap:

The FisherFiller (tee hee!) Mk I used a 3/8" vinyl hose jammed into the tap's spout. This worked OK, but I was always concerned about it blowing out, and taking the spout off and jamming the hose in there was a major PITA.

Enter FisherFiller Mk II. A 1/2" vinyl hose slides over the spout and is hose clamped on. This is then adapted (through some clever but ugly hose shenanigans) to the 3/8" hose and to the racking cane. Works, but is very ugly, and has a lot of parts and crevices for bacteria to hide in.

On to FisherFiller Mk III. I've been speaking with a machinist who already makes replacement spouts for Perlick faucets. He tells me he can make me a spout with a 3/8" hose barb on the outside, and a narrower opening on the inside to help with foaming. This way I can go directly from faucet to racking cane.

Only $15 each in 304 stainless.

I told him about HBT and he said that he doesn't want to post here, but he gave me permission to post about it. He said he'll make more if there's any interest in them.

-Joe

i dunno - seems to be easier to just hook up to the keg post instead of the faucet.

Still, any way to get beer from keg to bottle successfully is worth checking out.

i dunno - seems to be easier to just hook up to the keg post instead of the faucet.
Actually, this is the whole reason I started my quest to bottle from the tap. Once my keg is in the fridge, it's a ginormous pain to drag it out, especially if it's in the back of the fridge.

allkegs_inside.jpg

If you're using a chest freezer, it's not as much of a problem. But you still have to worry about sanitation at the keg, and making a mess when you pop the 'out' line off. I'd rather not break any connections if I don't have to.

Everyone's situation will be different, but for me it's a lot easier to just thread a different spout on a faucet and go.

-Joe

That's very similar to what I do when I take a growler or make up a few bottles. I just jam my tubing into a sanitized (squirted star-san) faucet and use a stopper over the bottle. Just like the BMBF set up, but going into the faucet and not a picnic tap.

Well that's neat. I guess the tube makes a seal against the faucet body?

I just opened two bottles that were bottled from the tap 5 months ago, and they were just as good as from the tap. So either I'm lucky or anal-retentive enough about line cleanliness :) I clean my lines with hot BLC every time I kick a keg, as soon as it's empty.

-Joe

Well that's neat. I guess the tube makes a seal against the faucet body?...

I do the same thing, but used copper, just flare the end of the tubing, and a little teflon tape around where it seats to make sure it seals and you're good to go.

Seeing that picture from wort-o-matic is what made me want to get Perlicks.

First look! He hasn't threaded the faucet side yet:

perlick1.jpg

perlick2.jpg

While the stainless rod is cool, I'd rather have the flexibility (literally!) of having a hose in the line. I'm klutzy enough that I'd end up breaking something if I tried to bottle from a rigid line. Also, I can then adjust the length of the line to help with foaming.

Any other takers?

-Joe

Hey guys. To order them just shoot an email to Mike @ Centerline machinery. His website is here.

He says to ask for the "bottle filler spout". He can do them in Perlick or Ventmatic threads, so specify which you'd like.

He tells me he'll be able to start shipping them next week.

Here are the completed spouts:

perlick3.jpg

perlick4.jpg

And no, I'm not on commission :) Mike has been very responsive to my ideas and emails and seems like a good guy. Just trying to help support the community.

-Joe

So let me get this straight... the device this guy is making screws into a standard perlick forward sealing faucet? Then all you have to do is put the tube in a bottle and pour like normal, then cap? And that is supposed to produce fully carbed, bottled beer that will remain intact for an extended period of time?

If this is so, then I don't see why I should save up to buy a beer gun.

This won't work on the newer Perlick 525ss single piece faucets. You cannot unscrew the tip to replace with this gadget.
This is quite true.

to macabra11: I use a stainless racking cane with a stopper on it to provide backpressure in the bottle to keep the foaming down (see the BMBF link in my first post). Using this method I have tested bottles stored for 4+ months and they were as good as the day I bottled them. I still have some unopened that have been in bottles longer.

If you just use a hose to the bottom of the bottle you may get too much foam.

To steve: no I have not received the part.

-Joe

Ok guys, got the custom spout in today! Machining looks great. Threads on exactly like the stock one. Here's a video of it in action! Note I'm bottling here at serving pressure, 12psi.

-Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Spout seems to work awesome. Nice video too!

Really great quality and good detail on counter pressure bottle filling.

I want one; details on ordering?

Also WTF is that bottle sanatizer thing you have?

Nice video on bottling. You state serving pressure of 12psi and that is what you are bottling at, right? Wouldn't it be a good thing to kick the pressure a pound or two higher to compensate for lost carbonation during the process? I have never bottled in this manner (actually never bottled at all) and am just trying to get things right when I do it for the first time.

I like the concept of bottling carbonated beer and not having to worry about it getting where you want it.

Thanks.

Salute! :mug:

Thanks for the kind comments on the video. It was shot with a Panasonic PV-GS70D Mini-DV camcorder and edited with Adobe Premier Elements.

You state serving pressure of 12psi and that is what you are bottling at, right? Wouldn't it be a good thing to kick the pressure a pound or two higher to compensate for lost carbonation during the process?
It sounds like a good idea, but I'm way too lazy for that :) You'd have to up the carbonation days before you bottle to get the CO2 dissolved into solution.

In practice, I haven't found a noticeable difference in carbonation, even after 4 months storage at room temp. The porter I bottled in April still had a big, creamy head on it when poured from the bottles.

-Joe

Well that's neat. I guess the tube makes a seal against the faucet body?

I just opened two bottles that were bottled from the tap 5 months ago, and they were just as good as from the tap. So either I'm lucky or anal-retentive enough about line cleanliness :) I clean my lines with hot BLC every time I kick a keg, as soon as it's empty.

-Joe

Yesterday a buddy and I cracked a bottle of weizenbock that was bottled from the tap almost 2 years ago, it tasted awesome :) Good carb and only a slight hint of oxidation (plum/sherry-which really enhanced the brew) I use ~8" of 1/2" vinyl tubing hooked directly to the tap for quick fills and some competition entries, but will pull out the beergun if I'm filling a bunch of bottles.

Hello I'm Mike the guy who owns Center Line. I should have these on the website later this week. I only made a handful (both thread sizes). I will make more but not for a few weeks as my supplier is out of food grade stainless.

I will sell the few I have on a first requested first served. You can email me at "[email protected]"

Just request the bottle filler, and what thread you need, and I will invoice you through Paypal. They will be $15.00 and $2.00 for shipping.

I use an alternate method for a quick fill of a bottle or two from my perlick faucets. The short section of plastic racking cane I used previously in a picnic faucet did not quite fit securely in the perlick spout. I heated the end of the plastic racking cane in a flame until it was a bit soft, then pressed the cane onto a flat surface to create a small bulge. Unscrew the spout, insert the cane, and screw the spout back in and it makes a decent seal. I don't have a stopper on the cane yet, but might try that in the future.

filler.jpg

Probably not as secure as the barbed spout described in this thread, but better than trying to fill out of the spout alone.

I filled up a growler right from the tap last night. Screw on nozzle, shove on hose, fill up at normal serving PSI, done. Took about two minutes. Awesome. Thanks so much!

I've filled roughly half a keg's worth of bottles buy slipping a Grolsch style gasket onto my sanitized Perlick nozzle.

1. Bleed excess gas from the keg.
2. Set your gas to just enough PSI to dispense.
3 Push a bottle up onto the Perlick until it seals with the Grolsch gasket.
4. Turn on the tap and tilt the bottle ever so slightly to one side to let gas escape while the bottle fills.
5. You can straighten the bottle at any time throughout the filling process to slow or stop the flow of beer.

I've liked this process so far since the control of beer is easily within reach, you don't need any additional plumbing, and my drip tray can catch any excess foam or drips.

I received mine in the mail yesterday. It looks great and threaded on perfectly. I didn't bottle anything yet, so I can't give it a full review at this time.

I was always curious about what problems a beer gun or BMBF is trying to solve. I couldn't figure out why you wouldn't just dial the pressure down to 3lbs or so and fill a bottle. So that would foam too much? Or is there something else I'm missing? Last week I filled an empty glass vodka bottle with apfelwein to bring on a trip, right from the faucet, screwed the cap on with no probems.

This looks awesome. I've been staring at the threads on my Perlick spout thinking "there has to be a way to thread something onto that so I can fill growlers". I just ordered one and hope this solves my "bottling from the keg" woes.

Update: I got this in the mail and used the "hose connected to racking tube with rubber stopper" arrangement so you effectively end up filling under counterpressure. Works like a charm! I'm filling into growlers with minimal foam, no noticable loss of carbonation and using normal serving pressure of 10 psi.

In practice, I haven't found a noticeable difference in carbonation, even after 4 months storage at room temp. The porter I bottled in April still had a big, creamy head on it when poured from the bottles.

-Joe[/QUOTE]

Joe did you bottle from a priming sugar carbonated keg that was never chilled? To be able to store at room temp without going flat?

I've filled roughly half a keg's worth of bottles buy slipping a Grolsch style gasket onto my sanitized Perlick nozzle.

1. Bleed excess gas from the keg.
2. Set your gas to just enough PSI to dispense.
3 Push a bottle up onto the Perlick until it seals with the Grolsch gasket.
4. Turn on the tap and tilt the bottle ever so slightly to one side to let gas escape while the bottle fills.
5. You can straighten the bottle at any time throughout the filling process to slow or stop the flow of beer.

I've liked this process so far since the control of beer is easily within reach, you don't need any additional plumbing, and my drip tray can catch any excess foam or drips.

I don't have any kegging experience yet but what does everyone else think about this? Seems reasoanble to me and much easier when it comes to sanitation and working without hoses.

No, I bottled from a cold keg that had already been force carbonated.

-Joe

That is so cool, I don't want to bottle a bunch, maybe gifts would be the most at one time. Mostly I would bottle to finish off a keg.

I ordered it a day ago, and with in 24 hours it is already on it's way. The LHBS only had #3 stopper, I think it will work, it barely goes into bottle.

Back