Stone XIII Anniversary Ale - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Stone XIII Anniversary Ale
Cool Brewing Corny 5G & Mini Giveaway
Sign-up To NEW HBT Article Newsletter - Brewing Articles Direct To You!

Old 07-22-2009, 06:49 PM   #11
svudah
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Had this last night on tap. Wasn't really my thing. Reminded me of another Anniversary Ale, maybe the 11th? I though it was very piney and that didn't mix well with the darker malts. I also tried Avery's 16th Anniversary Saison, which was perfect: an 8% beer with no distinguishable alcohol taste or smell, more pepper than fruit in terms of the phenols, but in general a pretty straightforward and really well done saison.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:28 PM   #12
thelorax121
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yea, it says on the bottle "Do Not Cellar - Enjoy in 2009". I liked the beer, but would not call it one of my favorites from them. The Sublimely Self Righteous on the other hand...

Old 07-22-2009, 07:45 PM   #13
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I didn't really enjoy the Sublimely Self Righteous, but it was a good introduction to the style of Black IPA. In all, I think that all the the Anniversary Stone's are not all that phenomenal. Sweet beer to me should be marked as such. Like sweet wine, if I wanted it I will buy it, so don't trick me into buying it by not marking it as such.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:48 PM   #14
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts

I love the Sublimely Selfrighteous, even back when it was the 11th Anniversary beer. I've gotten a few growler fills of that beer even a year and a half after it was released. It is definately more mellow and sweet with the aging. I still have at least 2 bottles of that in the fridge. In about a year I'm going to plan a big vertical tasting to see how these hugely hopped beers change. I've got the Stone anniversary beers back to the 10th.
Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 07-22-2009, 07:53 PM   #15
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Yeah, the Self Righteous wasn't bad, it had a strange nose for me. Other than that though, it was a great example of a Black IPA.

I am amazed at how there are a bunch of breweries making beers that are on the sweeter side. I mean, if I was going to try to make something that I was going to age, I would dry that sucker out as much as freaking possible. Once those hops fade, all you have left is a syrupy alcohol bomb.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:27 PM   #16
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsmith View Post
I love the Sublimely Selfrighteous, even back when it was the 11th Anniversary beer. I've gotten a few growler fills of that beer even a year and a half after it was released. It is definately more mellow and sweet with the aging. I still have at least 2 bottles of that in the fridge. In about a year I'm going to plan a big vertical tasting to see how these hugely hopped beers change. I've got the Stone anniversary beers back to the 10th.
I have the vertical epics back to 2003 (I'm missing 2002) and I am seriously debating selling them. They're fetching stupid prices on the internet and I know I could make a ton of beer for what they'd get. Doesn't seem right to keep a bottle that someone will pay you 100 bucks for. then again, it doesn't seem right to sell a bottle of beer for 100 bucks.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:34 PM   #17
BreckBastion
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'd sell 'em if I had 'em and I wouldn't feel bad about the price. If someone is willing to pay ridiculous $$$ for something, then they want it bad enough. On the other hand, you saved them for a reason.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:57 PM   #18
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreckBastion View Post
I'd sell 'em if I had 'em and I wouldn't feel bad about the price. If someone is willing to pay ridiculous $$$ for something, then they want it bad enough. On the other hand, you saved them for a reason.
I saved them for a reason at the time. Now it is more because I feel like I should keep going.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:06 PM   #19
phatuna
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

carne, I'm also in SD but haven't gotten around to very many of our breweries. I have been to stone and like their beer, but just curious, which brewery you like the best.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:16 PM   #20
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Sell them Carne, there is no reason to keep beers that you don't like. I mean, if you want to collect them, the do so. If you want to enjoy them later then keep em. But I know that I wouldn't enjoy them later in life and don't need to hold onto them, so if I were you I would sell them and make a ton of beer or get a new piece of equipement