Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Help with a Belgian Cherry Kriek

Old 07-22-2009, 11:43 AM   #1
WVBeerBaron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help with a Belgian Cherry Kriek

My lady loves Cherry Kriek and i'd like to make some for her. I tried the recipe below and it's good but came out on the tart side. I'm looking to make it sweeter. I used 2 cans of oregan cherry puree in the 2ndary, I guess I should have used what the recipe called for. Does anyone know how I can make this sweeter or more like a Belgian Kriek instead of a tart cherry wheat beer? (aside from moving to Belgium and using an open fermentor)

3 lbs. pilsner malt
2 lbs. malted wheat
1 lb. flaked wheat
2 lbs. unhopped light dry malt extract (DME)
4 AAU well-aged aroma hops: such as Saaz, East Kent Goldings or Tettnang
(1 oz. at 4% alpha acid)
Belgian ale yeast slurry (White Labs WLP550 or Wyeast 1762)
Lambic yeast or bacteria culture (recultured yeast from commercial lambic, Wyeast 3278 or both)
6 to 9 lbs. cherries, raspberries, peaches or other fruit (picked fresh, washed, cut up and frozen until ready to use)
1 cup unhopped light dry malt extract (DME) to prime

Step by Step:
Heat 9 quarts water to 163° F. Crush whole grains and add, with flaked wheat, to liquor. Hold mash at 152° F for 75 minutes. Runoff and sparge with 12 quarts water at 170° F. Add DME, stir well, bring to a boil. Add hops, boil 60 minutes. Remove from heat. Add to fermenter along with enough pre-boiled and chilled water to make up 5.25 gallons.

Cool to 70° F, pitch ale yeast. Ferment at 68° F for two weeks, rack onto fruit in your secondary and add lambic culture. Condition cool (50° F) for three to four weeks. Rack into third vessel to clarify at 50° F for two weeks. Prime with DME, bottle and age at least three to four weeks at 45° to 50° F.

KEGGED: Nut Brown, Smoked Porter, Blue Moon Clone 1, Blue Moon Clone 2, Something Red Amber Clone
CONTEMPLATING: Flanders Red, English IPA, Sack Mead

The elusive Beer Baron continues to thumb his nose at the authorities. Swaggering about in a garish new hat, he seemed to say "Look at me, Rex Banner! I have a new hat!" - The Simpsons

Old 07-22-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1336 Times on 877 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I'm guessing she likes one of the backsweetened varieties like Lindemans or St Louis. It's hard to do that in a bottle because you need the yeast/bugs to be alive to carbonate but they'll also explode the bottle if you add cherry concentrate.

You can get something like this: Cherry Juice Concentrate: A natural alternative to fight arthritis and gout
and add a teaspoon to the pint glass before you pour. That's how you'd sweeten a Berliner Weiss so it works.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I wonder if brett, pedio, lacto, etc., can eat splenda, stevia, etc? You can always try backsweetening with something like that.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-22-2009, 04:29 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1336 Times on 877 Posts
Likes Given: 35

You probably can, but I don't know if it would bring back that intense cherry flavor either (not that it's subjectively desirable but I assume the ladies like that).

Old 07-22-2009, 05:46 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, if you want more intense cherry flavor, I'd say just use more cherries, and go with the oregon puree cans.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)