Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Widmer Hefeweizen American Wheat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2011, 03:29 PM   #41
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: the sun
Posts: 15,732
Liked 318 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by ButcherBrew View Post
Thanks Humann...

That is a big grain bill for me. I only have a 21 Qt pot....So I will need to convert some grains to LME...Any ideas? Wish I had beersmith.
Here is what I got with just eye balling the numbers to add more extract and take more grains away. Less than 3 lbs of grain now.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.98 gal
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 7.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 32.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 74.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.33 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 3.85 %
2.75 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 32.05 %
2.50 lb Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 29.14 %
1.50 lb Great Western 2 Row (2.0 SRM) Grain 17.48 %
1.25 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 14.57 %
0.15 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 1.75 %
0.10 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 1.17 %
0.25 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 12.8 IBU
0.25 oz Millenium [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 12.8 IBU
0.05 oz Horizon [12.00 %] (60 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (1 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [7.00 %] (1 min) Hops 0.5 IBU
1 Pkgs American Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP32Yeast-Wheat


Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 3.33 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 4.16 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 2.33 qt of water at 200.7 F 168.0 F
humann_brewing is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:44 PM   #42
ButcherBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ButcherBrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Austin
Posts: 98
Likes Given: 1

Default


Awesome! That should work. I will give this a shot soon.

Appreciate your help Humann!
__________________
Primary: - Goodnight Sunshine Wheat
Secondary: - Don't need one!
Up Next: - Plum Creek Pale Ale
Bottled - Nope...
Keg: -
#1 Goodnight Sunshine Wheat
#2 Oatmeal Stout
#3 Butcher's Brown Ale
#4 Hoparillo IPA

Plum Creek Brewing
ButcherBrew is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:23 PM   #43
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: the sun
Posts: 15,732
Liked 318 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by ButcherBrew View Post
Awesome! That should work. I will give this a shot soon.

Appreciate your help Humann!
let me know how it turns out. Also, don't feel bad if you know have the exact same bittering addition. Basically you'll be fine with a nice clean bittering hop like magnum, warrior etc...
humann_brewing is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #44
scooterunderwood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 28
Likes Given: 4

Default


Ok, I'm a little confused by this recipe. It says the boil size is 7 gal, but you mash in with 11.42 qt, and mash out with 6.40 qt. That's only 4.45 gal, wheres the other ~3gals coming from?
scooterunderwood is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:48 AM   #45
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: the sun
Posts: 15,732
Liked 318 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterunderwood View Post
Ok, I'm a little confused by this recipe. It says the boil size is 7 gal, but you mash in with 11.42 qt, and mash out with 6.40 qt. That's only 4.45 gal, wheres the other ~3gals coming from?
the 6.4 qt is used to raise the mash temp up to mash out temp. You proceed with either sparging methods from there.
humann_brewing is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:27 PM   #46
stanley1271
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tampa
Posts: 333
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


Hey guys I am trying to use this recipe as a partial mash, but I am also trying to do it with what is available to me at this point. Can you take a look at the below recipe and see if this is close?

Style: Weizen/Weissbier
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 4.08 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 7.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 27.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 74.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.3 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 3.85 %
2 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 32.05 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 29.14 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 17.48 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 14.57 %
2.4 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 1.75 %
1.6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 1.17 %
0.25 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 10.8 IBU
0.05 oz Horizon [12.00 %] (60 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
0.25 oz Milenium [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 10.1 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (1 min) Hops 0.3 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (1 min) Hops 0.3 IBU
1 Pkgs American Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP32Yeast-Wheat


Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 3.33 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 4.16 qt of water at 167.8 F 154.0 F


Notes:
------


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
__________________
Swamp Land Brewing Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujieagle View Post
I'm telling ya, she's nuttier than a squirrel turd.
Kegged:
  • AHS Anniversary Hefeweizen
  • American Devil IPA
stanley1271 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:56 PM   #47
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: the sun
Posts: 15,732
Liked 318 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley1271 View Post
Hey guys I am trying to use this recipe as a partial mash, but I am also trying to do it with what is available to me at this point. Can you take a look at the below recipe and see if this is close?

Style: Weizen/Weissbier
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 4.08 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 7.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 27.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 74.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.3 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 3.85 %
2 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 32.05 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 29.14 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 17.48 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 14.57 %
2.4 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 1.75 %
1.6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 1.17 %
0.25 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 10.8 IBU
0.05 oz Horizon [12.00 %] (60 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
0.25 oz Milenium [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 10.1 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (1 min) Hops 0.3 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (1 min) Hops 0.3 IBU
1 Pkgs American Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP32Yeast-Wheat


Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 3.33 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 4.16 qt of water at 167.8 F 154.0 F


Notes:
------


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
that looks good to me. Also, if you don't have all those bittering hop, you will be find with just a good clean bittering hop like magnum, warrior etc...
humann_brewing is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:44 AM   #48
Emyrs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 45
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterunderwood View Post
Ok, I'm a little confused by this recipe. It says the boil size is 7 gal, but you mash in with 11.42 qt, and mash out with 6.40 qt. That's only 4.45 gal, wheres the other ~3gals coming from?
Im going to assume its for the sparge...

a lot of people mash out as their sparge. but some like to have an actual mash out step, then sparge after.
__________________
Primary - N/A
Secondary - N/A
Kegged - "nothing atreyu, nothing."

Beer and Brewing Photos
Emyrs is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:33 PM   #49
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: the sun
Posts: 15,732
Liked 318 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Emyrs View Post
Im going to assume its for the sparge...

a lot of people mash out as their sparge. but some like to have an actual mash out step, then sparge after.
correct, that is probably what I did with this one since it was when I was using a cooler and didn't have the rims going.
humann_brewing is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #50
WAORGANY
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WAORGANY's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Northern NY
Posts: 475
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
I think I may do some tweaking the next time I make this and try to get the 3 hops that are used in their alchemy blend that is used for bitttering but I am happy with the results.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 4.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 33.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 82.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.30 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 3.28 %
4.50 lb Great Western 2 Row (2.0 SRM) Grain 49.25 %
3.60 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 39.40 %
0.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 5.47 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2.60 %
0.25 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 12.8 IBU
0.25 oz Millenium [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 12.8 IBU
0.05 oz Horizon [12.00 %] (60 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [7.00 %] (15 min) Hops 5.3 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [7.00 %] (1 min) Hops 0.5 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (1 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
1 Pkgs American Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP32Yeast-Wheat


Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 9.14 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 11.42 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 6.40 qt of water at 200.7 F 168.0 F

Mine on the left




Thanks, I am originally from Oregon and this might be my real first Craft beer that started it all...making an IPA this weekend, might try this on my next batch thanks again..always have a few pints of this when I am back home!
__________________
RLTW!
WAORGANY is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Widmer Hefeweizen recipe trev All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 21 10-30-2013 02:07 AM
Ok so I am confused, hefeweizen vs American wheat Jayfro21 Recipes/Ingredients 27 08-30-2012 06:08 PM
recipe for widmer hefeweizen clone? maboitan Recipes/Ingredients 33 03-25-2012 02:19 PM
widmer style hefeweizen robd All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 5 06-07-2009 01:39 AM
Widmer Hefeweizen clone? trev All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 04-30-2007 05:10 AM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS