Million Dollar Ideas and Missed Opportunities - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Million Dollar Ideas and Missed Opportunities

Old 07-21-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
Hambone

Recipes 

May 2009
Across the Lake, LA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have to rant here because I'm f*cking pissed off. There was a recent thread on here asking for us to give game ideas to someone who hacked a Wii. This got me thinking about an old idea for a game I had a few years back. In high school I had to read Dante's Inferno and while most of the kids hated it, I rather enjoyed it. For those of you who haven't read the book, it's actually a three part epic poem written by Dante Alighieri around 1308 titled The Divine Comedy consisting of Inferno (Hell), Purgatorio (Purgatory), and Paradiso (Paradise). Dante's Inferno is about Dante's journey through Hell which is composed of 9 layers. Each layer consists of a different group of sinners. The more terrible the sin, the further down you were in this spiraling Hell. The last layer consisted of Lucifer (the Devil), who had three heads which constantly chewed on the bodies of Judas (the Jew who betrayed Jesus), Brutus, and Cassius (the two friends who betrayed Julius Caesar).

One day after Rugby practice and a couple of beers, my teammate and I were bull****ing and thought it would be a great idea to make a video game based on this book. We imaged some bada$$ mutha bursting into Hell and fighting and killing his way to the Devil where he would behead that son of a b*tch, one head at a time. There would have to be non-stop killing and violence to keep the game entertaining, of course, and since it's only 9 layers we wanted to make the game hard as sh*t to beat. Being the lazy piece of sh*t that I am though, the idea never took off. I decided to tell the Wii hacker about the game just to see it out there, so I googled Dante's Inferno to brush up on it before pouring out ideas. Guess what is the first thing that pops up under google? Dante's Inferno Game Official Site. I sh*t you not. Apparently, Visceral Games and EA are teaming up to make this a game next year. I feel like such a dumba$$ for not doing anything with this great idea. I even had a roommate who's cousin worked for EA Sports. All in all though, I bet the game is bada$$.

So, I'm curious, how many of you have had million dollar ideas that you end up seeing in the market? Couldn't you just kick yourself for not doing anything about it?

Old 07-21-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Liked 3401 Times on 3249 Posts

I once designed a "Jump to Conclusion's Mat". Haven't manufactured any yet, but basically, you take a mat you see, with different Conclusion written on it. Then when ever you have a problem, you literally JUMP to the conclusion!

But seriously. I invented "ttyl" in junior high for instant messaging, but nobody believes me!

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:55 PM   #3
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2007
Huntington Beach
Liked 494 Times on 339 Posts

I invented the internet. Al Gore stole my idea.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:33 AM   #4
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Portland, OR, Oregon
Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts

I invented Post-Its.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:36 AM   #5
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Middletown, De
Liked 3061 Times on 3003 Posts

I've don't like to brag about it but I invented Earth, boobies, and sex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 07-22-2009, 12:36 AM   #6
ChshreCat

Recipes 

Aug 2008
Camano Island, Washington
Liked 539 Times on 431 Posts

I thought of these a few years before they showed up but didn't do anything with the idea.

Innovations Proflate-16

Old 07-22-2009, 12:48 AM   #7
Brutus Brewer
Recipes 

Jul 2006
Upper Sandusky, OH
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Back in 1994 or 1995 I asked to borrow $5000 from my mom to buy a stock called AOL and she said no. Six years later that $5000 would've been almost 10 million.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:35 PM   #8
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Liked 3401 Times on 3249 Posts

Do you remind your mom occasionally?

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:01 PM   #9
SmugMug
Recipes 

May 2009
Alabama
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I invented the cubical magnet clips. Everyone uses them, but they never think about where they come from. Such a thankless effort.

Beer: Is there anything it can't do?

Old 07-22-2009, 02:12 PM   #10
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 4765 Times on 3217 Posts

I once worked in an electronics R&D company. Granted, they were mostly sensors and controllers, but I mentioned an idea for an MP3 player that would fit into a cassette cartridge so you could play MP3s on a cassette player. (back when 128MB was considered huge).

One of the engineers gave several reasons why it couldn't be done. I was a bit upset, because I didn't really agree with him on battery life, etc. I knew that people had MP3 players, and there cassette adapters already, so why not merge them?

Well, I went back to my desk and did a google search and the first return was the SAME THING I was thinkign of, except they also had the insight to include a headphone jack so you could listen without a cassette player.

There have been several other ideas, but I can't remember them off the top of my head.