Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Flaked rice vs Minute rice

Old 07-21-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 447 Times on 445 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Flaked rice vs Minute rice

I can't remember this one to save my neck. I am going to brew another batch of Biermuncher's Cream of Three Crops hopefully this weekend. And I bought some flaked rice since I was ordering some other stuff anyway to save myself a trip to the grocery store. I know with minute rice that I have used many times in the past, you just toss it in the mash. What about flaked rice? Can I just mash it as is or do I need to gelatinize it first?

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 07-21-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
GearBeer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I think you'll need to gelatinize it first.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:00 PM   #3
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 80

It was cooked before being run through hot rollers. There is no need to cook it again.
http://books.google.com/books?id=zV9...esult&resnum=8

Old 07-21-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 447 Times on 445 Posts
Likes Given: 11

You know, if I hadn't had the momentary lapse of intelligence, I could have just gone back to Austin Homebrew's site and answered my own question. Thanks to those who took the time to reply.

To anyone else who may still have a question:

Pregelatinized rice flakes have been produced specifically for brewing. The process of gelatinizing makes the starches readily soluble and digestible by the naturally occurring enzymes in barley malt. This allows the flakes to be incorporated directly into the mash with other grains. Because flakes have a large surface area and are pre-cooked, they hydrate and disintegrate quickly. Filtration time will be normal. Pregelatinized rice flakes are made from medium-grain rice and produce a light, clean and crisp characteristic in the finished beer.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis