I have quit bottling - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > I have quit bottling

Old 07-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #31
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2008
Columbus WI
Liked 41 Times on 34 Posts

I can not understand why people hate bottling. Like it takes an hour?? Hello?

Why not do both instead of dissing one. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

145 batches and counting

West Coast Blaster #4 almost go and on tap and a Dbl Chocolate Stout aging/carbing. Brewing East India Porter #4

Old 07-23-2009, 06:59 PM   #32
samc
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Portland OR
Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts

Confirmed kegger.

Bottles are more work for me. Don't hate it just prefer to skip it.

Bottles make me drink in preset defined amounts of beer. What if I only want to drink 13.5 oz of beer or 27 oz. or just a quick 8 oz glass, how am I going to do that with a bottle without wasting beer.

I only bottle if I have leftover from overshooting my recipe because the hops decided to give up a bit more liquid this time.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:11 PM   #33
MBasile
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Austin, TX
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

I was dreading bottling my first batch because I've read so many complaints about it. Once I got going I thought to myself "What the hell is so hard about this?"

For sanitization I used a method I had read on here. Soak the bottles in sanitizer (I let mine sit for 45 minutes) drain them, wrap some tinfoil over the top, set them in a box (they were virgin bottles, so I still had the box they came in) upside down. The excess sanitizer dripped into the tinfoil and kept the opening of the bottle wet over night. Bottled the next day.

Total gallons in 2012: 10

Old 07-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #34
MBasile
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Austin, TX
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
Bottles make me drink in preset defined amounts of beer. What if I only want to drink 13.5 oz of beer or 27 oz. or just a quick 8 oz glass, how am I going to do that with a bottle without wasting beer.
This thought did cross my mind, which is why I've been debating getting one party pig.

Total gallons in 2012: 10

Old 07-23-2009, 07:14 PM   #35
Dwain
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Hill Country, TX
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Damn on bottling.
When I first started brewing, my buddy and I had to brew/bottle in a garage that had a sink. We did bottly many, many gallons of beer. While the gulf coast of Texas isn't the Sahara, it is uncomfortably hot. Luckily, it gets cool for the 7 - 8 hours of fall. Two days of winter, then back to summer. It certainly seemed to be faster and easier to keg, so we got to it ASAP.
I think everyone should learn how to bottle properly. Especially now that I can bottle just by watching my two sons do it, I find it really isn't that bad. Got to pay your dues and all of that! - Dwain

Old 07-24-2009, 01:16 AM   #36
bakins
Recipes 

May 2008
West Georgia
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conroe View Post
Me and my wife can bottle a batch in 45 minutes start to finish.
I usually get the bucket ready and then my wife fills bottles as I cap them. Her part takes less than 15 minutes. So 45 minutes start to finish sounds about right.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:36 PM   #37
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2009
Lake in the Hills, IL
Liked 271 Times on 208 Posts

before brewing my own I had put in a full bar in the den, so I was already set up for draft beer, I also had lying around: a 6.5gal glass carboy a stainless turkey fryer, a thermostat (thanks Geoff!) and a small fridge to ferment in, so for me starting up brewing involved getting just a few more tidbits and a capper was not one of them. I do love a good homebrew out of the bottle but it never fit my plan, I just pour pints for friends and neighbors while we sit in the bar watching the game. no bias here, just workin with what I already had at hand.

I seem to have misplaced my trousers... ~Grainreaper