Racking onto yeast cake - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Racking onto yeast cake

Old 07-21-2009, 01:56 AM   #1
hopvine
Recipes 

Mar 2009
Holland, MI
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

If I have two brews that I want to use the same yeast with, and plan on racking the second beer onto the yeast cake of the first, do I need to do anything special? There is a green krausen ring composed of hops/trub that worries me a little, but I'm not sure how I would clean it off without compromising the yeast cake.

Is there a guide somewhere?

Old 07-21-2009, 02:05 AM   #2
Brewmasters Warehouse

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Atlanta, GA
Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts

You do not need to do anything. I rack out of a primary into a secondary or keg, while brewing and tehn rack from my brew kettle back into my carboy with the yeast cake. The carboy is still sanitized from the first batch.

Ed

Purchase a recipe with Brew Builder and save 10% off the recipe. Use discount code: BBBYO

Become a fan of BMW on Facebook.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:10 AM   #3
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2007
Huntington Beach
Liked 511 Times on 348 Posts

Look into the bottom of your bucket, say hello to the yeasties and congratulate them on a job well done. Then give them a little pep talk and dump in the next batch.

You may want to consider a blow-off tube instead of an airlock. You should get a vigorous fermentation.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:12 AM   #4
MurderMittenBrewing
Recipes 

May 2009
Portland

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I have some related questions:

Is it better to rack onto a yeast cake from a primary or a secondary, or does it not matter?

Also, does it matter if the styles of beer are different? I'm going to culture yeast from a 6-Pack of Oberon to make a clone. I was thinking about using the cake for a batch of Two Hearted, but I wasn't sure how well that would turn out. Would it be better to wash the yeast and then make a starter? Thoughts?
Bottles: Steinbart's Oatmeal Stout

Old 07-21-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
hopvine
Recipes 

Mar 2009
Holland, MI
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Another question, can I skip the aeration since my yeast population is already so large and healthy? Or should I aerate in the kettle before racking onto the yeast?

Old 07-21-2009, 02:32 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Liked 1691 Times on 1088 Posts

They need some oxygen to stay healthy so yes aerate.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:23 PM   #7
Joker

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Orygun
Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopvine View Post
Another question, can I skip the aeration since my yeast population is already so large and healthy? Or should I aerate in the kettle before racking onto the yeast?

Aerate once you have it in the carboy/bucket. You will want all the air you can get and it will get the yeast back up into suspension.

You will want a 6+ gallon vessel for a 5 gallon batch if you are using an airlock and even then you have a chance of the krausen clogging it. As mentioned already a blow off tube is the best bet.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:44 PM   #8
beerkrump

Recipes 

Mar 2009
Triune, TN
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

FWIW - Be aware that the last thing the yeast did in your previous batch was clean up. If you had issues with the first batch's fermentation ( high temps, stuck fermentation) or brewed a very flavorful beer, stout or IPA, the yeast cake you are pitching onto will carry with it some of the flavors of the previous brew.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:31 PM   #9
hopvine
Recipes 

Mar 2009
Holland, MI
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerkrump View Post
FWIW - Be aware that the last thing the yeast did in your previous batch was clean up. If you had issues with the first batch's fermentation ( high temps, stuck fermentation) or brewed a very flavorful beer, stout or IPA, the yeast cake you are pitching onto will carry with it some of the flavors of the previous brew.
Good point. I fermented the last batch (an American style wheat beer) at about 60F, and this is American Ale yeast (chico), so I should be alright.

Also, I'm thinking I'll use Fermcap-s to keep the krausen down.