Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > when will they be ready?!

Old 07-20-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
HughBrooks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default when will they be ready?!

I was wondering if anyone had any input on when to harvest the cones. What should I be looking for to know they are mature and ready to be picked? I am sure that they have some more time left on them but I am curious. Thanks for all the info.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Wow, wish I had cones already. They need to be picked when the tips start to turn brown. Another way to tell is by squeezing them. If they feel dry and papery, they're ready.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 07-21-2009, 01:43 AM   #3
adamjab19
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I am wondering about leaving the hops on too long. I feel like I need to watch them day by day but is a day or two past when "they are ready" really that bad? They'll just start drying on the bine right? I guess they could fall off if you leave them on too long.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:47 AM   #4
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

They will fall off eventually if you leave them too long. I wouldn't worry about it too much. When they get nice and dry on the outside, pull them off.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 07-21-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
pilotdane
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It's all new to me. This is my first year and I've several bines with cones that are very close. They are all ripening at different rates so I will not cut down the bine to harvest on the ground. It looks like I will be harvesting for at least a month.

The higher ones on my cascade stopped getting bigger about 2 weeks ago and I've been climbing the ladder every couple days to check on them. At first they definitley felt moist, un-ripe and had no hops aroma. A week later a few cones started to have the tip of a leaf turn brown, they have a little aroma but still feel too soft and moist. Now 4 days later the bigger ones are finally starting to get close. They are starting to turn more papery. When I pull back the leaves of the cone, at their base I can see the yellow. I think I'll let them go until later this week or this weekend. I'd like for them to dry a bit more and see if the lupulin turns more amber. The one cone I picked yesterday had aroma when moist but has lost it as it dries, so I'm thinking it's still a bit too early.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
jagg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Another thing to watch for, they will start to take on a lighter shade of green, almost yellow-golden color, at this stage is when my cones have the most aroma and sticky lupilins, and they will feel papery as was already mentioned, good luck.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:13 PM   #7
adamjab19
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotdane View Post
The one cone I picked yesterday had aroma when moist but has lost it as it dries, so I'm thinking it's still a bit too early.

That's exactly what mine did.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:34 PM   #8
HughBrooks
Recipes 

Thanks for all the info. looks like I should have a few ready to pick in the next week or so.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:59 AM   #9
adamjab19
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I have decided to let them hang until the weekend. I checked on the ones I am trying to dry and they smell like absolutely nothing. May just get rid of them. I am hoping the sun and heat over the next few days will get them going.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:19 AM   #10
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My Chinook cones have turned a bit golden but have very little hops aroma so far and are maybe a little papery but still spring back if I give them a little squeeze. There's no brown on them at all. So I guess I'll leave them a little while longer.

The cascades are still as green as they always were, also don't have much aroma, aren't at all papery, but have a little brown around some of the margins near the stem. I guess I'll leave them a while too, but I'm watching carefully how brown they turn.