Pitch me a video game idea. - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Pitch me a video game idea.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:40 PM   #21
SmugMug
Recipes 

May 2009
Alabama
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernerbrau View Post
What do you do?
I'm in systems security engineering, which is very generalized term but that's all I'm going to say in a public forum.

Quote:
How so? Just creating competition? Or have people been fired for using it?

If Linux results in Microsoft employees losing jobs, that's not Linux developers stealing jobs from M$. That's Linux being a quality product that competes effectively with Microsoft's offerings.

Software development is a volatile field. It's common for people to change jobs every couple years or so anyway.

But this isn't the debate forum so if you want to discuss this further over there...
I'm not directly involved with any kind of software development or engineering, but most of the job loss that I'm speaking of comes from using open source software on a proprietary platform built exclusively to run a specific application/OS. It also occurs when there have been significant security gaps in the software that someone can exploit/crack and alter for their own use.

Beer: Is there anything it can't do?

Old 07-20-2009, 07:42 PM   #22
bernerbrau

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Nashville, TN
Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
I'm not directly involved with any kind of software development or engineering, but most of the job loss that I'm speaking of comes from using open source software on a proprietary platform built exclusively to run a specific application/OS.
Mission critical systems, sure. I'm not quite sure how that applies to running something I wrote myself on hardware I personally own though. In any case, open source software is no more or less secure than its commercial counterpart. It varies by the software itself.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:45 PM   #23
bernerbrau

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Nashville, TN

If we want to take this another direction, why don't we talk video games in general without worrying about the platform. Wii remotes are bluetooth devices, and libraries exist to use them on a standard PC as well, so...

Old 07-20-2009, 07:57 PM   #24
xiang

Recipes 

Oct 2007
MI

A brewing game much like Sid Meier's Civilization series could be interesting.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:01 PM   #25
Parker36

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Lesotho
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

What about a Robin Hood type game? I think all the bow and arrows and sword stuff would lend itself well to the Wii, plus you don't really have to worry too much about writing a story

Old 07-20-2009, 08:06 PM   #26
bernerbrau

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Nashville, TN

Of the suggestions so far, here are the ones I like:

Beer Pong -- May take some finessing of the controls to make it actually playable
1st person Frogger -- should be quick and easy! And could update it with lots of different levels!
Scorched Earth -- Again something that would be simple and pretty cool to extrapolate into 3D.
Brewery Simulator -- This could be THE game Of course if it gets REALLY decent, and if I could get like a team of spare-time developers on it, I may look into buying a commercial game development license.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:08 PM   #27
bernerbrau

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Nashville, TN

Quote:
What about a Robin Hood type game? I think all the bow and arrows and sword stuff would lend itself well to the Wii, plus you don't really have to worry too much about writing a story
It *is* pretty easy to code a bow-and-arrow motion on the wiimote... swords too.

Remember though that engrossing 3D environments take a lot of artistic work as well as code work. Plus I haven't really buckled down to learn the Wii GPU yet. Everything graphical I've written so far has been with 3rd-party libraries.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:11 PM   #28
Parker36

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Lesotho

Quote:
It *is* pretty easy to code a bow-and-arrow motion on the wiimote... swords too.

Remember though that engrossing 3D environments take a lot of artistic work as well as code work. Plus I haven't really buckled down to learn the Wii GPU yet. Everything graphical I've written so far has been with 3rd-party libraries.
Doesn't have to be 3D. The bow and arrow can be like the old shooting arcade games or Buck Hunter.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:14 PM   #29
bernerbrau

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Nashville, TN

Quote:
Doesn't have to be 3D. The bow and arrow can be like the old shooting arcade games or Buck Hunter.
So something more like an auto-scroller where you just have to aim and shoot? That could be a good proof-of-concept, and I wouldn't have to devote a whole lot of time initially to the graphics -- could just pull some stuff off Google Images as placeholders.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:17 PM   #30
Parker36

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Lesotho

Quote:
So something more like an auto-scroller where you just have to aim and shoot? That could be a good proof-of-concept, and I wouldn't have to devote a whole lot of time initially to the graphics -- could just pull some stuff off Google Images as placeholders.
Ya, something like that. You could also intermingle some old school 2D side scrolling action with swords in between archery stuff or to get from place to place.