Pitch me a video game idea. - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Pitch me a video game idea.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:13 PM   #11
SmugMug
Recipes 

May 2009
Alabama
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers bernerbrau, it's just that even open source development on proprietary hardware is frowned upon in my profession and I have heard tale from 1st hand experience that it has ended up in people losing their jobs. However, if what you say is true (and who am I to argue) then you're probably right and you're in the clear.

That said, how 'bout a remake of Scorched Earth?

Beer: Is there anything it can't do?

Old 07-20-2009, 07:16 PM   #12
Parker36

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Lesotho
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

How about a game where you take care of all the characters injured/maimed/killed in other games. You can call it "Super Busy Hospital"

Old 07-20-2009, 07:17 PM   #13
bernerbrau

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Nashville, TN
Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Heh... a Sim Brewery.

Start out with $1000, buy equipment and ingredients (start off with extract or go all-out right away) for a home kitchen rig, sell beers to your friends under the table, work your way up to 20-gallon batches and a massive pipeline, eventually find a distributorship, buy brewery space, build your empire...

Then of course brewing chemistry could be used to estimate how "good" your beer ends up being and how much people like it.

This sounds interesting. Might give it a shot.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:18 PM   #14
Parker36

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Lesotho

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernerbrau View Post
Heh... a Sim Brewery.

Start out with $1000, buy equipment and ingredients (start off with extract or go all-out right away) for a home kitchen rig, sell beers to your friends under the table, work your way up to 20-gallon batches and a massive pipeline, eventually find a distributorship, buy brewery space, build your empire...

Then of course brewing chemistry could be used to estimate how "good" your beer ends up being and how much people like it.

This sounds interesting. Might give it a shot.
Sounds more like a PC game (may or may not only saying that because I don't have Wii but still want to play it). Alternate titles: Brewery Tycoon, Beer Baron

Old 07-20-2009, 07:20 PM   #15
bernerbrau

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Nashville, TN

Quote:
it's just that even open source development on proprietary hardware is frowned upon in my profession
What do you do?

Quote:
and I have heard tale from 1st hand experience that it has ended up in people losing their jobs.
How so? Just creating competition? Or have people been fired for using it?

If Linux results in Microsoft employees losing jobs, that's not Linux developers stealing jobs from M$. That's Linux being a quality product that competes effectively with Microsoft's offerings.

Software development is a volatile field. It's common for people to change jobs every couple years or so anyway.

But this isn't the debate forum so if you want to discuss this further over there...

Old 07-20-2009, 07:20 PM   #16
cd2448

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Haddonfield, NJ
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker36 View Post
How about a game where you take care of all the characters injured/maimed/killed in other games. You can call it "Super Busy Hospital"
I think for most games it would be more a case of Super Autopsy, or EA Sports Gravedigging.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:20 PM   #17
bernerbrau

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Nashville, TN

Quote:
(may or may not only saying that because I don't have Wii but still want to play it)
I may get around to cross-compiling eventually That is if I get anywhere with the game to begin with.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:29 PM   #18
bernerbrau

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Nashville, TN

Scorched Earth looks simple enough to do a rewrite. Heightfields in 3D would make for an interesting twist.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:30 PM   #19
Parker36

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Lesotho

I really, really like the Sim Brewery game idea. Just throwing that out there.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:34 PM   #20
bernerbrau

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Nashville, TN

I would definitely need some help with the math from more experienced brewers, determining how all the little changes might affect the final flavor profile. Not to mention all the options available to the average brewer beyond what I've been able to accomplish so far.

A Sim Brewery (though EA Games owns the trademark to the Sim franchise) would be a fairly large undertaking though, and may not be ready for a couple years But I'll definitely keep it in mind.