Pitch me a video game idea. - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Pitch me a video game idea.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #1
bernerbrau

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Nashville, TN
Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

DISCLAIMER: Nothing I'm running on the Wii is copyrighted or illegal software. I have not installed any illegal modchips in my system. I own the hardware and if I want to run something on it that's not approved by Nintendo, that's my prerogative.

Again, I am not running any illicit or illegally obtained software. Everything I am running on the Wii (which includes the compilers and libraries) is written by video game enthusiasts and made publicly available. I cracked the Wii to write my own software for it, NOT to run illegal copies of games for free.

Hacking to write your own stuff is a completely different ballgame, and it's certainly not "stealing somebody's job" because I'm not writing code for profit and everything I write is my own creation. Nintendo may not approve, but that's another story.

If the mods, however, feel differently, they may lock this thread. I don't feel I am promoting anything illegal but if it's too fuzzy for comfort, then I apologize.

I know a lot of folks around here are the do-it-yourselfer types. Well... I recently cracked my wii to run unlicensed software and downloaded the open source development kit.

This past weekend I got a proof-of-concept app up and running, which essentially entailed realtime scaling and rotating of sprites, translating wiimote input to the on-screen cursor position, and pulling up a Home menu. People who have a wii may have a better idea what I'm talking about.

I've been trying to break into video game development for decades, but I always get stuck at the "creativity" part. I'll always have game ideas floating around when I'm not busy coding but when I get around to actually sitting down to code I always draw a blank on inspiration.

That's where you guys come in. Start pitching me some game ideas. Ideally it should be something that can be hacked together over a weekend or two, and finessed over a longer period of time, so no WoW clones or anything like that. If any idea here comes to fruition, you'll be awarded with either your name or HBT handle in the credits, and maybe a bottle or two of Bernerbrau.

I'd also like to take advantage of the hardware, so if you think of something that can be played on your feet waving a couple of sticks around in front of a TV, hey, bonus.

Of course, more ambitious ideas are welcome too, to be placed on the backburner until I develop a bit more confidence in my skills hacking the Wii.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:32 PM   #2
SmugMug
Recipes 

May 2009
Alabama
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Sounds like you certainly "broke" into game development alright. Careful broadcasting that you used a crack to run unlicensed software, there may be a few Wii developers who are also homebrewers. That's their job you just stole from them.

Not to totally deflate your elation, I've just seen my fair share of software developers lose their jobs from cracked software. Not necessarily in a gaming environment though.

Beer: Is there anything it can't do?

Old 07-20-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
chumprock

Recipes 

Dec 2008
Rochester, NY
Liked 35 Times on 24 Posts

I'd say try and re-engineer the classic "tapper" game into something modern.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:03 PM   #4
Bopper

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

A beer pong game would be amazing

Old 07-20-2009, 07:05 PM   #5
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7413 Times on 6080 Posts

Okay, so your this guy and you run throuagh an old castle killing monsters....Oh, that was Doom. Sorry.

Okay, so you have this street race running jap modifieds on city streets...oh Fast and Furious huh?

Okay so your, wait no, that done too.

Screw it!

First person 3D frogger!

Old 07-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #6
bernerbrau

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Nashville, TN

Quote:
A beer pong game would be amazing
There's a commercial version included in Wii GameParty. Of course it's called "Ping Cup."

Old 07-20-2009, 07:08 PM   #7
Bopper

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernerbrau View Post
There's a commercial version included in Wii GameParty. Of course it's called "Ping Cup."
ahhh - you can tell I don't have a Wii.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:09 PM   #8
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7413 Times on 6080 Posts

Sims Brewery!

Old 07-20-2009, 07:09 PM   #9
bernerbrau

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Nashville, TN

It kind of sucks though. Aiming is really hard and there's way too much lag between turns. I could always write a clone of it.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:12 PM   #10
cd2448

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Haddonfield, NJ
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

first person frogger is genius. with the wii, you could even have people jump in and out of traffic in their living rooms.

for a start, do a 2-D frogger game where they have to jump left/right/back/forward.