Did the crazy, flailing-arm dance today... - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Did the crazy, flailing-arm dance today...

Old 07-20-2009, 01:27 AM   #1
menschmaschine

Recipes 

Jun 2007
Delaware
Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts

So I'm mowing the lawn today... dooh-do-do, la-la-la... AHH!, HOLY SH**!, AHH!!!!

Mowed right over a fresh new yellow jacket nest!

Arms flailing, legs akimbo, I run and dance screaming like a little girl into the house, only to realize they are still on me, stinging my arms, legs and chest (under my shirt!). When the dance is over, there are 5 dead bees on my kitchen floor, 6 stings on my body, and one pissed off mother-****er (me).

On top of this, the push-mower, which has an automatic handle-release shut-off that I conveniently disabled with a piece of string, is still running out in the yard 6 inches from the nest in the ground. So after the adrenaline slows down, I grab a 10-foot wooden pole, fasten a hook on the end, and gingerly step towards the lawn mower to hook the string and yank it to pull it off the mower handle, thereby shutting it off.

So the front lawn is half mowed at this point. Can't leave it like that. So, I send my 6-month pregnant wife out for some wasp spray, spray the sh** out of the hole in the ground while the bees are hovering around it, shove a wooden stake into the hole, don some long pants and a hooded sweatshirt (it's 85F outside) and finish mowing the lawn without getting stung again. My neighbor, unknowing as to what was going on, later told me he thought I stopped homebrewing and started growing something.

I've stepped in yellow jacket nests in my youth and saw a kid at summer camp go into shock and nearly die from being stung 40 or so times, so I hope to think I sensed the situation I was in before it got that far for me today. My homebrew this evening is quite soothing to the stinging lumps on my body!

Old 07-20-2009, 01:35 AM   #2
marubozo
I can has homebrew?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2009
SW Michigan
Liked 5415 Times on 5264 Posts

Damn I hate those mother****ing bees. Similar thing happened to me last fall. Just pushing the mower like I do every week... and suddenly wasps just start flying out of the ground by what seemed to be the thousands. You never realize how fast you can run until you encounter a wasp nest!

A gallon of gas and one match later and I never saw another wasp again.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:38 AM   #3
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Middletown, De
Liked 3061 Times on 3003 Posts

Well thank god that you're not allergic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 07-20-2009, 01:38 AM   #4
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Middletown, De
Liked 3061 Times on 3003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
A gallon of gas and one match later and I never saw another wasp again.
We used to have to do that with red ant hills at my parents house. Except, we used diesel or kerosene.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 07-20-2009, 02:27 AM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Liked 1765 Times on 1122 Posts

They are tough bastards too. I have a nest in the base of my bay window and gained entry where some caulk pulled away. I sprayed about 3 cans of kill'em into the hole over the course of a few days and I still see them going in and out. Napalm next.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:40 PM   #6
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2007
North Augusta, SC
Liked 204 Times on 152 Posts

Did the same thing - had NO idea they nested in the ground. Came up behind me after I passed over their hole and nailed me.

I waited until dark, put a kitchen sieve over the hole and poured in some ammonia. Killed 'em all, and a little grass too.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:53 PM   #7
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 697 Times on 513 Posts

I was digging up a tree root three or four years ago. I got stung in the arm by a ground hornet. It killed a vein in my arm which hardened. I still have it. It's like I have a pencil buried just under my skin. Bastards!!!

Old 07-20-2009, 01:53 PM   #8
chumprock

Recipes 

Dec 2008
Rochester, NY
Liked 35 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
They are tough bastards too. I have a nest in the base of my bay window and gained entry where some caulk pulled away. I sprayed about 3 cans of kill'em into the hole over the course of a few days and I still see them going in and out. Napalm next.
There's a powder I've used (Drione dust). Squirt a bunch into the hole and watch them drop out dying over the next three or four days...

Old 07-20-2009, 02:01 PM   #9
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2007
North Augusta, SC
Liked 204 Times on 152 Posts

For outside, these work great, (got mine from Lowe's). I've used them for a couple of years, and they fill up with the buggars.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:06 PM   #10
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 5015 Times on 3385 Posts

When we had a pear tree next to the house we had yellow jackets pretty bad. One time I counted the number I sucked into the vacuum and quit counting at 250. I woke up feelign a crawling across my wrist one night and got stung as I tried to shake him off. After that, it was all-out WAR!

They never really went away until that tree came down. now I never see any.