HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - This is it - Final Weekend to Enter!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Final Weekend!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Sparkling Wine

Old 07-19-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
Matt Up North
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Sparkling Wine

has anyone ever made sparkling wine that has around 13-15% alcohol without the use of CO2, in other words a natural carbonation? I am playing with the idea of doing this and just want some advice.

Cheers

Old 07-20-2009, 12:13 PM   #2
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1228 Times on 795 Posts
Likes Given: 3567

I bottled 2 cases of 12% ABV apple wine this past May. I bottled in champagne bottles with plastic stoppers & wire hoods, it was easy. I used a rubber mallet to tap the stoppers into the bottles & a little tool to twist the wire hoods on. Primed with dextrose & calculated for 4.5 volumes. They carbed up nicely. I used Red Star premire cuvee yeast. Hope some of this info is useful to you. Regards, GF.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:24 PM   #3
Matt Up North
Recipes 

I think that I could accomplish a "country" sparkling (sediment), but have thoughts of doing methode champagnoise. I want to disgorge and all the fun stuff. Did you have to wait any extraneous amount of time for that to carb? I figure that I will wait at least a month (test) and then start the riddling so that I will be able to attempt disgorging about 6-8 weeks in.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
bmckee56
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

13% to 15% abv. is on the high side for a sparkling wine using the original method to carbonate. I have used forced carbonation previously and it worked out quite well. I have a Pineapple wine in the fridge now at 45psi. Was going to use 50, but kept it on the low side this time.

The original champagnoise method is time consuming, but I am sure would afford a great feeling of achievement when complete.

Good luck.

Salute!
On Tap #1 - East End Brew
On Tap #2 - Nada
On Tap #3 - Nuttin-Honey Ale
Fermenting - BMB's Cascading Citra Ale

Old 07-20-2009, 07:54 PM   #5
Matt Up North
Recipes 

The problem that is facing me is that I really don't want to make a wine that uses under ripe grapes. The flavor just isn't there for me. Instead, I want to get it nice and flavorful wine that has about 13% abv. I might have to settle for less though, I will find out soon as I am going to do a test starting tomorrow!

Old 07-21-2009, 11:48 AM   #6
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1228 Times on 795 Posts
Likes Given: 3567

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Up North View Post
I think that I could accomplish a "country" sparkling (sediment), but have thoughts of doing methode champagnoise. I want to disgorge and all the fun stuff. Did you have to wait any extraneous amount of time for that to carb? I figure that I will wait at least a month (test) and then start the riddling so that I will be able to attempt disgorging about 6-8 weeks in.
Champagnoise is more than 'm willing to attempt, though I did give it some brief thought. I have very little sediment in the champagne bottles. If you actually do give disgorging a try, post your methods & results. Good luck. Regards, GF.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:22 PM   #7
gregbathurst
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Up North View Post
The problem that is facing me is that I really don't want to make a wine that uses under ripe grapes. The flavor just isn't there for me. Instead, I want to get it nice and flavorful wine that has about 13% abv. I might have to settle for less though, I will find out soon as I am going to do a test starting tomorrow!
What variety of grape are you using? Many grape varieties are perfectly ripe at 11-12%, especially the whites, and the acidity often drops off quite quickly after that, which would be bad for a champagne.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:01 PM   #8
Matt Up North
Recipes 

I am doing a test with some finished Pinot Noir that I have half at 13.5% starting and the other half at 12.5% starting. We will see how this goes!