Preparing for tomorrows brew, last minute question re: Yeast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BADS197

Reaction score
I'm bottleing a English Pale ale tomorrow morning in preparation for the brew day.

The reason I'm bottling tomorrow is because I'd like to toss my new batch on top of the yeast in the bottom of the fermenter thats going to be empty.

1. After bottleing, do I need put the yeast in a steralized container and then clean the carboy out? or can I just toss it in on top of the stuff thats in there already?

2. Should I put the new batch in another carboy and then pour the yeast into a quart jar and let it settle to see if i can seperate it from the trub?

3. I have another ale yeast in the fridge that I was saving, should I use that? It was used to make an octoberfest (as an ALE not a LAGER). ?

Essentially I have two yeasts that I can use or pitch all new yeast.

The one in the fridge I let settle for a bit and then poured the top layer off along with a good portion of the leftover beer. Then put it back in the fridge to sit. I did nothing special to it.

So what do you guys think?

appreciate the responses.
thanks
jake

You can just pitch the new wort into the carboy after you have racked out the beer, if it was sanitary before it should still be. I usually take the time to transfer everything to a clean fermenter though, just because it bugs me to throw a new batch onto all that old crud from the previous batch. I have done it before with no issues though.

thanks.

Starting in a few minutes... i hope it turns out good.

Back