My Brutus 9 1/2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > My Brutus 9 1/2

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2009, 10:33 PM   #1
Simphoto02
 
Simphoto02's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Louisville, KY
Posts: 387
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



Well I am going for it.

I am building a Brutus 9 1/2. Named that way because is it being made out mild steel and not Stainless. Gonna paint the frame.

The frame pic in the Members Gallery

All of the important pieces are cut and fit together perfectly.
Hole drilling and tacking is in store for tomorrow.
Run to lowes and Harbor freight for more goodies.

Aparatus, I need to speak with you.
__________________
HOOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got tired of waiting for our savior to save the economy, so I jumped into all grain, What the hell!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:49 AM   #2
kladue
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Dec 2006
Turner, Oregon, Oregon most of the time now
Posts: 2,305
Liked 53 Times on 47 Posts


Are you planning to go the low pressure propane route with the Baso H19's and Banjo burners, or with electric ignition and high pressure propane system.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
Simphoto02
 
Simphoto02's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Louisville, KY
Posts: 387
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Low pressure with Hurricane burners. I am making a hybrid Brutus 10. A combination of the original and Apparatus' version. The Hurricane can be easily switch to NG later and I just LOVE Apparatus' set-up.

Just shopping for casters and other hardware now.
__________________
HOOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got tired of waiting for our savior to save the economy, so I jumped into all grain, What the hell!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
kladue
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Dec 2006
Turner, Oregon, Oregon most of the time now
Posts: 2,305
Liked 53 Times on 47 Posts


With the banjo burners you can drill out the orifices from high pressure size to low pressure LP then again to Natural gas. If you start with low pressure LP the conversion to NG is fairly easy and you can use the 24V furnace valves for standing pilot safety or the dual valve type for electric ignition.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:04 PM   #5
Simphoto02
 
Simphoto02's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Louisville, KY
Posts: 387
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kladue View Post
With the banjo burners you can drill out the orifices from high pressure size to low pressure LP then again to Natural gas. If you start with low pressure LP the conversion to NG is fairly easy and you can use the 24V furnace valves for standing pilot safety or the dual valve type for electric ignition.
I am in the process of both understanding and shopping for this stuff.

Can you elaborate on the valve/pilot light set-up?
Pics, model numbers and vendors if possible?
__________________
HOOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got tired of waiting for our savior to save the economy, so I jumped into all grain, What the hell!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #6
Sawdustguy
 
Sawdustguy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Manorville, New York
Posts: 2,708
Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Simphoto02 View Post
I am in the process of both understanding and shopping for this stuff.

Can you elaborate on the valve/pilot light set-up?
Pics, model numbers and vendors if possible?
See the thread below. This is for a Honeywell Y8610U. It can be used for Natural Gas or Low Pressure Propane (<11 WC). I think Claudius B and Kladue both use them. The Y8610U is an intermittent pilot gas valve. If the pilot goes out it will try to re-light the pilot. If it can't re-light the pilot after a period of time it will shut down. I think it is a measure of safety beyond just using an Asco valve and constant unmonitored pilot.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/gas-...ummies-116632/

User Manual for Y8610U
__________________
Guy


 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #7
kladue
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Dec 2006
Turner, Oregon, Oregon most of the time now
Posts: 2,305
Liked 53 Times on 47 Posts


The gas system on the phase 2 system is a bit different than the others as it uses mass flow controllers to modulate high pressure Lp to the burners, ignition is still a honeywell ignition module and pilot though.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:35 PM   #8
Simphoto02
 
Simphoto02's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Louisville, KY
Posts: 387
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I see the safety factor, And I agree that looks much safer. I would like some input as to HOW this gets incorporated with the Love Controllers and Temp Sensors?

I am in the process of building a mixture of Apparatus's brutus and the original one. Using Apparatus' idea of the Hurricane burners.
__________________
HOOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got tired of waiting for our savior to save the economy, so I jumped into all grain, What the hell!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:30 PM   #9
Sawdustguy
 
Sawdustguy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Manorville, New York
Posts: 2,708
Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Simphoto02 View Post
I see the safety factor, And I agree that looks much safer. I would like some input as to HOW this gets incorporated with the Love Controllers and Temp Sensors?

I am in the process of building a mixture of Apparatus's brutus and the original one. Using Apparatus' idea of the Hurricane burners.
If you look two replies back (Post #6) in this thread you will see a Link: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/gas-...ummies-116632/. Look at the bottom of the post and you will see a diagram where all the connections are laid out for you using an Auber Instruments PID instead of a Love Controller.
__________________
Guy


 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:17 AM   #10
Simphoto02
 
Simphoto02's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Louisville, KY
Posts: 387
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
If you look two replies back (Post #6) in this thread you will see a Link: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/gas-...ummies-116632/. Look at the bottom of the post and you will see a diagram where all the connections are laid out for you using an Auber Instruments PID instead of a Love Controller.
So the two are interchangeable?
__________________
HOOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got tired of waiting for our savior to save the economy, so I jumped into all grain, What the hell!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brutus Ten ???? wshymas Equipment/Sanitation 527 01-24-2016 09:10 PM
My Brutus Rig hooks Brew Stands 19 08-17-2011 11:09 AM
Brutus 5?! FreebootersBrewing Brew Stands 7 08-19-2009 06:17 PM
Brutus 5? Simphoto02 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 0 08-09-2009 08:12 PM


Forum Jump