Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > ale yeast and cider question

Old 07-18-2009, 03:49 AM   #1
Notnice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default ale yeast and cider question

Is it advisable to rack off the cider from the lees after fermentation or just like Apfelwein do u just leave it until it clears.

Just in case
5gals Mott's A.J.
1# corn sugar
s-05 yeast

Thanks In advance

Edit: Sorry cant fix the title

Priming: CBB 1.1, apfelwein
Chillin:1st Mead, ApfelMango-Cyzer, aleApfelwein,blackchapfelwein,blackfelwein,
Blucyzer, Cyzer.
Bottled: Apfelwein 2, Crazy Beech Bitter
Trench Town Brown, Mouf of the Souf Stout, New Mouf of the Souf, Oaked Apfel, Slow-wit
Next Up:Cream ale, Scott red, 888RIS or cocoOatmealRIS, Apfelwein and more Apfelwein

"Always do sober what you said you would do drunk. That will teach you to keep you're mouth shut."-E. Hemingway

Old 07-18-2009, 05:04 AM   #2
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I would be inclined to leave that on the yeast cake for several weeks at least. I have only ever made four batches of hard cider, but they are getting better.

Really I would let the recipe above age at least six months after bottling, and nothing to gain by rushing it off the cake into bottles.

M2c.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:50 PM   #3
Notnice
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I say nothing about bottling. Just don't know if I should take her off the lees and put to 2nd or not like apfelwein.

Blucyzer, Cyzer.
Trench Town Brown, Mouf of the Souf Stout, New Mouf of the Souf, Oaked Apfel, Slow-wit
Next Up:Cream ale, Scott red, 888RIS or cocoOatmealRIS, Apfelwein and more Apfelwein

"Always do sober what you said you would do drunk. That will teach you to keep you're mouth shut."-E. Hemingway

Old 07-18-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
SeamusMac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Leave it on the lees for 3-4 weeks, I believe that's pretty standard procedure. Allowing it to sit in primary for a this amount of time allows the yeast to "clean up" after themselves, which I would assume means metabolize their byproducts from the furious fermentation of days gone by. Although I'm certainly no expert so I can't explain the science behind the pros and/or cons of allowing your cider to sit on the lees for a month.

Kegged: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat
Kegged: Brewcraft - Enhanced Dutch Lager
On Tap: Brewcraft - Irish Stout

Old 07-18-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 14 Posts

I usually let the cider sit in primary for a month minimum, although I have left it in the primary for as long as 4 months before with no ill effects so far, and actually, I think it's one of my better batches.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 07-18-2009, 09:32 PM   #6
Notnice
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i usually leave my Apfelwein in primary for 6-8 weeks then bottle cause its Cristal clear then bottle. just seeing if thats OK with using ale yeast

Blucyzer, Cyzer.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:34 PM   #7
Notnice
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks Freeze thats what I wanted to hear. I'm in no hurry in fact quite the opposite. I would rather leave it alone. I was just worried about the "off" flavors I keep hearing about.
I also have a few other ciders and a mead going. and a couple batches of Apfelwein in bottles so there is no rush.

Blucyzer, Cyzer.