American Stout Sierra Nevada Stout Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvstrat

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale US-05
Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Super subtle hop/citrus aroma, mild roasted flavor, farging delicous
This is the BYO clone from ages ago adjusted for 6 gal batch and AAU's of my locally available hops. This is the second stout I have brewed but the first american. The head color was darker than the previous breakfast stout. During the earlier gravity readings the roasted flavors from the black patent were super overpowering so I was worried it might be a bit much. However w/20 days in primary, 10 days in secondary, and a week to carb up in the keg, it's beautiful. If you are a stout fan and are looking for a recipe to brew go ahead and do this one! Def my best beer to date.

Sierra Nevada Stout Clone

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

13-E Stout, American Stout

Min OG: 1.050 Max OG: 1.075
Min IBU: 35 Max IBU: 75
Min Clr: 30 Max Clr: 48 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 6.00 Wort Size (Gal): 6.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 14.90
Anticipated OG: 1.065 Plato: 15.95
Anticipated SRM: 40.1
Anticipated IBU: 60.2
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 7.06 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.055 SG 13.67 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
64.4 9.60 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
21.5 3.20 lbs. Munich Malt(2-row) America 1.035 8
8.1 1.20 lbs. Black Patent Malt America 1.028 525
6.0 0.90 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Magnum Pellet 14.40 54.9 60 min.
1.10 oz. Cascade Pellet 6.30 5.3 10 min.
2.40 oz. Willamette Pellet 4.60 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----
Safale US-05

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 14.90
Water Qts: 18.63 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 4.66 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.25 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 154 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Sparge Temp : 0 Time: 0

Total Mash Volume Gal: 5.85 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

I'm not totally sure :( I never brewed extract. Try posting the recipe in the extract section, someone will convert it

sounds like a good beer, but is it a good clone?

I made a clone of SN Porter, still waiting to see how it'll turn out. OG and FG tastings were pretty good, tho.

I brewed this yesterday, tasted great pre-fermentation. Those 2oz willamette in the end make for a good aroma. I can't find any sierra nevada stout in my area, only find their pale offerings. Id like to find some and see how close mine clone is.

I brewed this yesterday, tasted great pre-fermentation. Those 2oz willamette in the end make for a good aroma. I can't find any sierra nevada stout in my area, only find their pale offerings. Id like to find some and see how close mine clone is.

What area are you in? We've got it here and could always swap if you want. But my guess is if you asked at your local bottle shop, they could probably get you some.

I'm in SD i think i may have found some in Sioux Falls. Hopefully they will have it next time i am there. Is it good?

i have a 6 pack of the SNStout, its a really well balanced, medium body, and just all around enjoyable stout. so this recipe is going into the cue. thanks for sharing!

pennybst said:
Are there any verdicts on this clone?

The clone is not a clone I would add roasted barley next time. The real one has coffee and roast notes but this clone recipe does not.

The clone is not a clone I would add roasted barley next time. The real one has coffee and roast notes but this clone recipe does not.

It's probably a water, process, or maltster difference that makes the difference. SN uses black malt as the only roasted grain, according to many sources (including their own website, as posted above).

I was also wondering about the roasted barley. I guess it isn't in there. I am going to make minor adjustments and brew this soon.

When I input the recipe into Beersmith it calculated the total IBU around 40, with the ounce of Magnum at 14.4% for 60min only doing 33.5 IBU (quite far off from your 54.9 IBU calculation). Any idea why this is so?

EDIT: I did plug it into an online IBU calculator and got what you calculated. Must just be a fault with the program or something.

pennybst said:
When I input the recipe into Beersmith it calculated the total IBU around 40, with the ounce of Magnum at 14.4% for 60min only doing 33.5 IBU (quite far off from your 54.9 IBU calculation). Any idea why this is so?

EDIT: I did plug it into an online IBU calculator and got what you calculated. Must just be a fault with the program or something.

Each program has a default value for the alpha values of hops. Find the alpha value of the hops you will use and plug that in. (ive not used brewsmith, but im sure you could locate this input just for your specific recipe somewhere in the hop addition area) Then plan your hop additions with the software in order to achieve the IBU you wish for the brew. This is one of the main advantages of using software for brewing. You can accurately clone and brew even tho your hops may be quite different.

I did crunch the numbers into the program, I've used it for a few brews already. I don't wish to fill this thread with an off-topic so we probably shouldn't carry on with finding an answer here, but take a look for yourself.

EDIT: Nevermind, switched around some of my equipment profile settings and now it is where it should be!

Screen Shot 2012-01-17 at 11.36.42 PM.jpg

I figured I could post an update for my brew. It is a tasty little americ

ForumRunner_20120118_101047.jpg

an stout at first the hops were featured so there was less roasty aromas but now after a couple weeks in the bottle it compares favorably to the Sierra Nevada itself. Good session american stout IMO its a very simple recipe resulting in a nice ale.

Threw this together yesterday as my first stout. Currently bubbling away. I'll try to tell you how she ends up!

anyone care to comment on whether it might be better to cut back on the black patent? or maybe use debittered black? from what i've read black patent doesn't usually got more than 2-3% in a recipe?

I got this in the fermenter right now. Will bottle next week. I will post an update in a few weeks. I have three bottles of SN Stout for comparison.

anyone care to comment on whether it might be better to cut back on the black patent? or maybe use debittered black? from what i've read black patent doesn't usually got more than 2-3% in a recipe?

Sure, a lot of people say that. I'd be willing to bet no more than 1 in 50 of them have actually tried doing so, so they're just talking about things they don't know. Give it a shot, if you're curious. Black malt has a different flavor than roasted barley, but it's no worse. I like it better. Try something like SN stout or Obsidian stout to see if you like your roast malted or not.

Woof! What a beer. Must admit, never had the SN, but I have trouble imagining that its as good as what I just drank. Out of five batches me and my pals have brewed, this is the best by a longish shot. I tweaked the recipe a bit without knowing what I was doing. We also fermented it a bit hot ~75 to 80 deg F. No noticeable strong esters or fusels.

51% 5 0 Briess Amber Unhopped LME
31% 3 0 German Munich Malt
10% 1 0 Briess Caramel 60L
5% 0 8 Crisp Black Patent
3% 0 4 Crisp Roasted Barley

Batch size: 5.0 gallons

Original Gravity
1.051 measured (1.061 estimated)
Final Gravity
1.018 measured (1.015 estimated)

USE TIME OZ VARIETY FORM AA
first wort 60+ mins 1.0 Magnum pellet 14.0
boil 10 mins 1.0 East Kent Goldings pellet 5.0
boil 1 min 1.0 Willamette pellet 5.5

When I started brewing a year ago I didn't like stouts at all. Brewing changed that a bit and two months ago I decided I'm ready for my own stout. So I brewed 2.5 gallons of this recipe and bottled into a Party Pig. Started drinking it three days ago and it's just great, one of my best brews to date. Classic stout in my opinion, perfect hop aroma, pitch black color, great taste, not too roasty (I don't like smoke tasting beers). Thanks for sharing this recipe.

04-fermentation.jpg

09-drinking.jpg

I brewed this last night. It should be ready by thanksgiving. Can't wait to have a tall glass while I'm on vacation then.

I brewed this in May and am doing a side by side comparison right now. The commercial has a real chocolate smell to it while the clone has none. Clone has a hoppy aroma with no roasty malt or chocolate. You can taste the chocolate in the commercial as well. The clone is a bitter version of the commercial. The clone is not as balanced as the commercial but is a solid beer.

Final verdict: Not Cloned but damn good.

I brewed this in May and am doing a side by side comparison right now. The commercial has a real chocolate smell to it while the clone has none. Clone has a hoppy aroma with no roasty malt or chocolate. You can taste the chocolate in the commercial as well. The clone is a bitter version of the commercial. The clone is not as balanced as the commercial but is a solid beer.

Final verdict: Not Cloned but damn good.

I'm thinking of brewing this but I don't have enough Wilamette.
I have done some research and Nugget and Willamette should make a nice combination for a stout so I'll try that.
I have never had an American stout and thought this would be a good one to start with so I won't mess around too much with the grain bill. Maybe only add a bit of flaked barley to get more of a head on it.

Then I will see if it is to my taste and if there is anything I would like to change for the second batch.

Brewed this last night for the first time. Smells and looks great. I was hoping to have it ready for a friends wedding, but cut it a bit short on the time. Will I hate myself if I only keep it in the primary for 2 weeks and the secondary for 1 week? Anyone else try a shorter fermentation?

Latest posts

Back