Digital thermometer - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Digital thermometer

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2010, 05:02 PM   #11
isleofman
 
isleofman's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Madison, Alabama
Posts: 232
Liked 27 Times on 16 Posts


thermapen for me. after reading about how many of the cheapo digitals failed and how inaacurate they were... decided to just buy the best.
__________________
A watched pot never boils. An unwatched pot always boils over.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:17 PM   #12
rcrabb22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
rcrabb22's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Illinois
Posts: 714
Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
I don't use a thermometer in the brew pot. I don't see any real need for it.
I have a permanent thermometer in my brew pot. When starting the boil I know to stay close at 205F or so to prevent boilovers. Until then I am free to do other chores without too much to worry about.

At flame out I start water through my immersion chiller and I watch for the the wort to get below 140F since at that point I can put the lid on the kettle without DMS fears and reduce the chance of other airborne contaminates getting in the kettle. At that point I'm free to do other things with the convenience of a quick glance at the thermometer to monitor chilling progress.

YMMV - I would miss it now if I didn't have one.

Reason: still can't spell

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:12 PM   #13
JayInJersey
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
JayInJersey's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2009
New Jersey
Posts: 594
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I've gone through at least 5 of the Taylor instant reads, and 2 of the CDC "calibratable" ones (the calibration seemed to fail too)

I'm currently running through this link and it seems to be holding.
__________________
Hazard Brewing

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:25 PM   #14
springer
 
springer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Wappingers falls NY
Posts: 4,743
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInJersey View Post
I've gone through at least 5 of the Taylor instant reads, and 2 of the CDC "calibratable" ones (the calibration seemed to fail too)

I'm currently running through this link and it seems to be holding.
This is why I went with the Thermapen . Even my Cole Palmer K probe seems to have bitten the dust. I did have to replace the first Thermapen wasn't the thermos fault its not suppose to be flushed down the toilet...
__________________
'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:39 PM   #15
rcrabb22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
rcrabb22's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Illinois
Posts: 714
Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts


+1 Thermapen

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:06 PM   #16
Bricetrine
 
Bricetrine's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Fort Worth
Posts: 47

+2 Thermapen

It's worth the $.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #17
JayInJersey
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
JayInJersey's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2009
New Jersey
Posts: 594
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I fear using the Thermapen...I can see me snapping that thing off too easily.

Don't they make one that sits flat like the regular probe ones or are they all "dagger" designed?

Do you guys ever find yourselves smacking things into them?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:22 PM   #18
springer
 
springer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Wappingers falls NY
Posts: 4,743
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInJersey View Post
I fear using the Thermapen...I can see me snapping that thing off too easily.

Don't they make one that sits flat like the regular probe ones or are they all "dagger" designed?

Do you guys ever find yourselves smacking things into them?
the unit is sturdy never crossed my mind I might snap off the probe. They do make a blunted one its not water resistant its the old style . They are clearing them out at 70$ . But it doesn't read in tenths of a degree

Smacking like what into them? I mean I don't run around with knives either . You take the reading fold it up

70$thermapen
__________________
'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan


 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #19
JayInJersey
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
JayInJersey's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2009
New Jersey
Posts: 594
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I was actually going to use one sticking through a stopper in my MLT for the readings.

Might give it a go anyway...the only thing I might hit it with on the out side is me or maybe my grain bucket as I lower it...I am a very big klutz when it comes to things sticking out of stuff...Let's just say that I have a habit of getting doorknobs stuck in the pockets of my sweats at night when I go through a doorway.

It's kind of like having your own personal arresting wire and will wake you up if you were quickly walking out of the bathroom in the middle of the night.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:08 PM   #20
springer
 
springer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Wappingers falls NY
Posts: 4,743
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInJersey View Post
I was actually going to use one sticking through a stopper in my MLT for the readings.

Might give it a go anyway...the only thing I might hit it with on the out side is me or maybe my grain bucket as I lower it...I am a very big klutz when it comes to things sticking out of stuff...Let's just say that I have a habit of getting doorknobs stuck in the pockets of my sweats at night when I go through a doorway.

It's kind of like having your own personal arresting wire and will wake you up if you were quickly walking out of the bathroom in the middle of the night.

I don't think a Thermapen would be the right choice as it turns itself off after a few minutes. So you have to close it and open it again to turn it on. I would lean towards this design
longstem
__________________
'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
digital thermometer recommendation jamest22 General Beer Discussion 27 07-12-2010 04:12 PM
Digital Thermometer Issues phatuna Equipment/Sanitation 26 06-27-2009 04:30 PM
Digital Thermometer Repair bierslayer Equipment/Sanitation 0 04-08-2009 06:38 PM
$3 wired digital thermometer Pivzavod General Beer Discussion 15 10-07-2008 03:54 PM
digital thermometer mrk305 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 11 09-05-2007 12:53 AM


Forum Jump