Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Idiot

Old 07-16-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
Buffman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Idiot

I'm an idiot. I'm brewing a pumpkin ale today, while also trying to get some work (for work) done. I was planning to fly sparge after mashing out. Not thinking, I dumped the entire mashout water onto the grains - not slowly or onto anything to protect the grainbed. Not a drop of wort would come out. I totally eff'd up the grainbed, even getting some grain in the short tube between my false bottom and the ball valve.

To salvage the brew, I had to dump the mash through a large strainer bag and sparge the grains through that. It'll probably be fine, but certainly not as efficient as I like. That's what I get for not paying attention. Lessons learned.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
Runyanka
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've heard of taking compressed air and shooting it through your ball valve, thus pushing the clogged grain back into the MLT.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 321 Times on 317 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
I've heard of taking compressed air and shooting it through your ball valve, thus pushing the clogged grain back into the MLT.
I did this except it was my own air blowing up the tube and making bubbles in the mash tun. Haven't had it happen in a few batches so something has changed because it use to happen on every batch and I was use to it.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:42 PM   #4
Buffman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I tried blowing it out several times (between curses, that is) with no success.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:45 PM   #5
zman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffman View Post
I'm an idiot. I'm brewing a pumpkin ale today, while also trying to get some work (for work) done. I was planning to fly sparge after mashing out. Not thinking, I dumped the entire mashout water onto the grains - not slowly or onto anything to protect the grainbed. Not a drop of wort would come out. I totally eff'd up the grainbed, even getting some grain in the short tube between my false bottom and the ball valve.

To salvage the brew, I had to dump the mash through a large strainer bag and sparge the grains through that. It'll probably be fine, but certainly not as efficient as I like. That's what I get for not paying attention. Lessons learned.
I did the same exact thing with my very first AG that was a Pumpkin Spice Ale as well. Mine was a disaster but I can laugh about it now. I did not dump it right away but after 6 months it still sucked so I had to toss it. I batch Sparged in a round cooler. Now that I have my Coleman Extreme 70qt I have no problems. I do want to try fly sparging one of these days.