Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Anybody got a good "Sake" recipe/ process?

Old 07-15-2009, 05:11 PM   #1
EamusCatuli
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Anybody got a good "Sake" recipe/ process?

I was wanting to make some sake for fun. I have done some research on it and could probably do it with what I know, but I always like to ask the HBT boards first....

Does anybody have a sure-fire proven method for Sake making?

Thanks

Old 07-15-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5835 Times on 5078 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Can't remember if it was Zymurgy or BYO (I am thinking BYO) but one of those did a 3 or 4 page article on the processes of making a proper Sake at home. Until I read that I was like you, considering it strongly.

FWIW, you can make a quick and dirty Sake at home on a budget. Just be prepared for your head to melt from fusel explosions.

I throroughly enjoy the subtlety of Sake. Good luck on your quest. i'll keep to buying the bottles.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2873 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

I think it was byo,...

When the article came out there was a florish of threads. Here's a few from search...Search= sake of course one a few of the threads are actual "sake" the other threads just had titles like "for christ sake"

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-15-2009, 10:42 PM   #4
CrunkBoner
Recipes 

Instructions and ordering specialty ingredients here
Vision Brewing's Homebrew Sake Instruction Page

I haven't tried this, sounds like too much of a pain in the neck for something that I would probably not be able to pull off anyway

Old 07-16-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 35 Posts

For some reason Revvy's search link isn't working...but it worked yesterday and via that link I found this site.

I did a quick read of the process and I have a question: His process uses a bucket and says you need to mix the stuff with your hands to break up all the clumps of rice. I was hoping to just use one of my glass carboys. Is using a glass carboy (with it's very narrow opening) just asking for a PITA sake?

I def want to try making sake. I love the stuff. I'm not sure if I go to the sushi bars for the sushi or the sake (prob the combo).
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 07-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #6
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Liked 5835 Times on 5078 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
For some reason Revvy's search link isn't working...but it worked yesterday and via that link I found this site.

I did a quick read of the process and I have a question: His process uses a bucket and says you need to mix the stuff with your hands to break up all the clumps of rice. I was hoping to just use one of my glass carboys. Is using a glass carboy (with it's very narrow opening) just asking for a PITA sake?

I def want to try making sake. I love the stuff. I'm not sure if I go to the sushi bars for the sushi or the sake (prob the combo).

Most of the Sushi bars here only stock and serve a lower grade Gekkeikan Traditional and some variants (pearl, etc....). If that is the case for you as well, I urge you visit a decent bottle shop and peruse their selections for a Junmai Daigingo-Shu grade Sake. OMG, it's heaven! The grade is clean enough that you can serve it chilled without feeling like you licked a Koji cake.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That BYO article was from Taylor-Made AK over at NB and is pretty much his how to from over there (same guy that SCA linked above):

The Northern Brewer Homebrew Forum • View topic - How to make sake - an in-depth Taylor-Made guide.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:28 PM   #8
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Morebeer has a kit now... check it out!

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 07-16-2009, 02:57 PM   #9
Nurmey
I love making Beer

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post

I read quite a bit of this guy's site and believe he knows what he is talking about. He joined us before but I don't think he have been here since. If I remember correctly, he offered to help anyone that wanted to contact him.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:10 PM   #10
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm intrigued enough to give this a shot!

Northern Brewer has the Koji spores and Sake yeast available.