Sludge - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sludge

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2009, 02:30 PM   #1
Niksput
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
England
Posts: 9


In my fermentation bucket, a thick brown sludge has built up around the edges of the bucket. It was not there 4 hours ago. The brew itself looks perfectly golden, bubbly and normal, but the sludge is worrying. Is this common? Thanks

edit: Upon further inspection it appears to be the residue from the initial bubbles... can anyone shed some light on the subject?


 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:34 PM   #2
peterfuse
 
peterfuse's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
Belfast, Ireland
Posts: 222
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


This is known as krausen. Perfectly normal and happens on every single batch that i brew. This will drop down when primary fermentation comes to an end.
__________________
is there anything to be said for saying another mass?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:36 PM   #3
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
IrregularPulse's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
Posts: 50,576
Liked 3385 Times on 3242 Posts


+1 to peterfuse. I'm assuming this is your first batch? Kraussen is a part of every brew. Some can look beautiful like a creamy frothy head on a pint, others, and most, will look quite gross. It will fall.
__________________
Tap Room Hobo

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:36 PM   #4
Niksput
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
England
Posts: 9

Thankyou. I thought it was probably fine, but I like to be sure :P
__________________
99% of people love beer. The remaining 1% do not have tastebuds.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:37 PM   #5
Niksput
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
England
Posts: 9

This is my 2nd batch, but I can't remember there being any kraussen on my first, thanks again
__________________
99% of people love beer. The remaining 1% do not have tastebuds.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:52 PM   #6
mattmcl
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
mattmcl's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Erie, CO
Posts: 731
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts


The fermentation activity causes the volume of the wort to expand, so you will often see a brown crusty ring an inch or more above the level of your wort. That's because the krausen rose, deposited that ring, then sank back down. It's actually called "high krausen" at that point. Kinda like the ring around the bathtub.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fruit Sludge pizzaman Recipes/Ingredients 2 05-12-2009 05:41 PM
keep yeast sludge? docmoran All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 1 04-12-2009 08:05 PM
Hop sludge in wort Fuzzyfella Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 04-06-2009 03:06 PM
Hop Sludge Hophazard Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 03-12-2009 04:15 PM
Hop Sludge iggy_fenton Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 08-30-2006 12:38 AM


Forum Jump