Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > My first attempt at Cider

Old 07-15-2009, 03:48 AM   #1
BigJoe5313
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My first attempt at Cider

Well where do I start. My friend started brewing beer about a year ago. He recently told me about some cider recipes that peaked my interest. He sent me here where I have lurked for a while and finally decided to sign not to long ago. Went to Whole Foods to get me a few gallons of juice. The pics should finish up the explanation of ingredients and everything. I hope to report back in 4 to 6 months about my outcome. I also want to try my hand at some kind of apple/cranberry mix cider and mead in the coming weeks.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:12 AM   #2
Brandon O
Knapsnatchio
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 10 Posts

If you use cranberry or any other acidic juice....plan on aging it for a long time because it will be VERY tart.

You could also balance the tart by using crystal grains in a steeping process and add that to the wort.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
SeamusMac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Great looking experiment and welcome to HBT! What kind of yeast did you use? I can't quite make it out in the picture.

Take any specific gravity readings of the mixes of cider and sugars? I'm just curious because I'm doing an organic cyser for a friend as a Christmas gift and I'm not sure how much honey to add in order to get a final alcohol by volume of approximately 9%. I could do some guess work and take a bunch of readings to find out but... why do that if you might know?

Kegged: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat
Kegged: Brewcraft - Enhanced Dutch Lager
On Tap: Brewcraft - Irish Stout

Old 07-15-2009, 10:17 PM   #4
BigJoe5313
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon O View Post
If you use cranberry or any other acidic juice....plan on aging it for a long time because it will be VERY tart.

You could also balance the tart by using crystal grains in a steeping process and add that to the wort.
Ok,thanks for the advise. I don't mind letting things age. What do you consider a "long" time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamusMac View Post
Great looking experiment and welcome to HBT! What kind of yeast did you use? I can't quite make it out in the picture.
Thanks for the welcome. It's White Labs WLP023 Burton Ale