Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Buying Ingredients Online

Old 07-15-2009, 03:36 AM   #1
dfargo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Buying Ingredients Online

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone is like me, living in the back country with no specialty brew shops around? As a result, I have a hard time getting my hands on certain specialty ingredients for my new brewing hobby. I am mostly looking for flavouring malts (such as chocolate) as well as plain old malto-dextrine, and was wondering if anybody new of any online brew stores that had this sort of thing., I have had a look around, but could not find any flavored malts specifically, although I did see malto-dextrine

edit: Keep in mind, I am looking for powdered malt, or malt extract to add to the wort before primary fermentatio

Cheers!

Old 07-15-2009, 03:47 AM   #2
HarkinBanks
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Well, I live in the city and prefer ordering online vs my two local home brew shops. I haven't found one around me that I really like and know I am getting good prices. The folks at Midwest have been great to me and have great email support. I have yet to find an ingredient they do not have. People report good experiences with Austin and Northern, but I have yet to order from them. I know Austin is a member here and responds to many posts.

Here are your chocolate malts:

Roasted Malt :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

Old 07-15-2009, 04:06 AM   #3
davesrose
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If I'm ordering enough to warant the extra shipping for mail order, I've been sticking with Northernbrewer. There's also Austin Homebrew, Morebeer, Brewmaster's Warehouse (if you're not a GA resident), Midwest Supply, and even more internet stores if you google!

Edit....oh, I see by back country, you mean Canada....well you might want to try this site: http://www.mashingheads.com/
On the Bench: Racer 5 IPA

"One of the first things early caveman did, when he crawled out of the mudd, was to make beer. And cavemen everywhere are still making beer...and drinking beer." - Jean Sheperd

Old 07-15-2009, 04:09 AM   #4
DRoyLenz
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

+1 on Midwest Supplies

Everything I've ordered (save for this last recipe bill I'm waiting to arrive) I've ordered from MWS. They ship very quickly, and everything is assembled as promised. They also have a good collection of Extract Ingredient Kits.

Very recently, I ordered a set of ingredients from two online sources. Austin for just about everything I needed (except the Maris Otter malt extract I need). I really liked Austin's ordering process, it offers a lot of flexibility. I ordered my Maris Otter extract from Williams, but found that their grain and hop selection was limited.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:30 AM   #5
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfargo View Post
edit: Keep in mind, I am looking for powdered malt, or malt extract to add to the wort before primary fermentatio

Cheers!
I've not seen anyone anywhere selling specifically "flavored" extract in any form beyond light, amber, dark, various pale malts, wheat etc. typically to be used for base malt. You would have to use specialty malt (grain form) for chocolate, roasted, smoked, black, etc, etc, etc. to be steeped or mashed.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:34 AM   #6
BackBayBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+1 to Northernbrewer.

All of the sites mentioned are great as far as I know, but I am very partial to Northernbrewer b/c they have been great so far and their phone support guys (and girls) are great!!
Kegged: Empty :-(

Old 07-15-2009, 07:44 AM   #7
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesrose View Post
Edit....oh, I see by back country, you mean Canada....well you might want to try this site: Mashing Heads
Wow, that site almost makes me want to move up to the great white north. Nice place for our Northern friends.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:30 PM   #8
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've always had great success with Northern Brewer.
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 07-15-2009, 05:59 PM   #9
cell
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I see you're in Canada, check out this place:
La Cachette du Bootlegger

You can order online. I went into their walk-in store and it's a good LHBS, selling quality stuff and good service.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:06 PM   #10
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Midwest is the correct answer.