Irish Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NUCC98

Reaction score
Hey all!

I recently brewed up an Irish Stout using a True Brew Kit. I followed the instructions to the letter, and bottled it last night. I sampled some, and the hops were VERY prevalent. Almost too in-your-face. Will their armoa and flavor settle over time in the bottles, or should I just not add the extra hops, per the recipe? Thanks!

Aroma tends to settle, but flavor does not. It is unusual for an Irish Stout recipe to include aroma hops at all. What hops did you use and when in the boil did you add them?

richanne said:
Aroma tends to settle, but flavor does not. It is unusual for an Irish Stout recipe to include aroma hops at all. What hops did you use and when in the boil did you add them?

I was 2 oz. of hops...cam't remember the type, but the instructions said it was 1.5 alpha. They were added in the beginning, so I know they were meant to bitter, but I added 8 oz. of baker's chocolate to the boil, and 4oz of raspberry flavor at bottling, and the chocolate flavor's really masked by the hops.

NUCC98 said:
I was 2 oz. of hops...cam't remember the type, but the instructions said it was 1.5 alpha. They were added in the beginning, so I know they were meant to bitter, but I added 8 oz. of baker's chocolate to the boil, and 4oz of raspberry flavor at bottling, and the chocolate flavor's really masked by the hops.

Sorry.....that hops info was wrong....ok, it was 2oz. of hops, not sure of the Alpha, but the HBU was 18.5.....thanks!

The flavor of bittering hops won't go away over time.

If the hops were added at the beginning, what did you mean by "should I just not add the extra hops, per the recipe?" There are no hops that get added after bottling. Assumed you meant next time, but then you said the hops were all added at the beginning of the boil with this this batch.

If you don't know the alpha acid, do you know what type of hops they were?

richanne said:
The flavor of bittering hops won't go away over time.

If the hops were added at the beginning, what did you mean by "should I just not add the extra hops, per the recipe?" There are no hops that get added after bottling. Assumed you meant next time, but then you said the hops were all added at the beginning of the boil with this this batch.

If you don't know the alpha acid, do you know what type of hops they were?

The name was on the package, and I really can't remember...but they were strong, I remember that. By adding the extra hops, I meant like using only 1oz. at boiling, instead of the 2 oz. the kit says to use. I tried some last night, and the flavor is starting to mellow out a little bit...the raspberry's there, but it's definitely not chocolatey enough, though.

I always feel my beer is hoppy durring the bottling, after the carbination and some aging the beer "sweetens" a bit in taste.

I made a Kolsh beer a year ago that tasted pretty bad in my opinion, I did not drink many of them and they sat, then I had no other beer around and about a year later and it tasted great! I was amazed......

Back