Dumb Noob ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slasher

Reaction score
Hey brewers,

Just started brewing:mug:... First was a british style ale(7/11/09) and today (7/13/09) a dunkel Weizen..

Had been lurkin and read how full boils were better, and since I had a 9gal pot and brewing on propane, why not?:rockin: But didn't realize I'd over shoot the gravity for the extract recipes... but didn't change anything for the grains/malt and this am over shooting Original gravity by about 5 pts on both brews... Also am concerned about the hops utilization as I used about 80% as the 2-3 gal directions called for and added the other 20% at end of boil for aroma ... So I guess I will now have a pretty bitter beer? I Am concerned as all noobs are on our first beers... :eek::eek:

I am sure it will be beer, but will it be enjoyable?

I wouldn't worry about overshooting the gravity by 5 points. Unless you're considering competition, I think most people (myself included) consider a small amount of extra gravity to be a nice bonus.

If I understanding what you're saying about the hops, you put in 80% at the start of the boil and 20% at the end? I don't think that will necessarily result in a bitter beer. We'd need to know hop quantities to know that for sure. It's common for British ales to have more of the hops for bittering and less for aroma/flavor. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've seen recipes where 100% of the hops are added at the start of the boil.

So if I'm understanding you correctly, you have very little to worry about.

I wouldn't worry about overshooting the gravity by 5 points. Unless you're considering competition, I think most people (myself included) consider a small amount of extra gravity to be a nice bonus.

If I understanding what you're saying about the hops, you put in 80% at the start of the boil and 20% at the end? I don't think that will necessarily result in a bitter beer. We'd need to know hop quantities to know that for sure. It's common for British ales to have more of the hops for bittering and less for aroma/flavor. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've seen recipes where 100% of the hops are added at the start of the boil.

So if I'm understanding you correctly, you have very little to worry about.

You're not helping my case here bud.

Sorry,

OG called for 10.53 I hit 10.56 plus with temps adjusted to 10.58. As for hops,
Recipe called for 1 oz first gold @60min and 1oz kent golding @20min.. I held about 20% back on each and then added it w/2 min left in the boil... Recipe says 48.1 IBU, but am curious if it is going to be way off or not?

Guess it should be okay?

Didn't realize that my OG would be higher with a full boil untill my second came out high... Just really unsure of how skewed my end results will be...

Back