sanke fermenter - dip tube and drain issues - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > sanke fermenter - dip tube and drain issues
Cool Brewing Corny 5G & Mini Giveaway

Old 07-13-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
kcinpdx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm on my way to completing a sanke fermenter with the following specs:

upside down sanke
2" tri clamp to 2" stainless ball valve on the bottom
4" tri clamp to modified end cap on the top

Here is the issue - I ordered 2 corny post adapters and the plan was to drill and tap the 4" end cap and install a gas in and liquid out post. Problem is that the adapter do not work with liquid out. The new working plan is to tap a 1/4" threaded hole in the end cap. Screw the adapter all the way in, allowing some threads to be usable on the bottom of the cap, tehm attach a compression fitting to it. To the compression fitting add the dip tube.

First - does this sound reasonable?
If so, what is the OD of a corny dip tube?

Second - on the bottom of the fermenter where I have the 2" ball valve, I would love to add some sort of a clear housing (like a water filter housing) to see how much trub is coming out. Problem is I can't find any way to attach something to a 2" sanitary fitting. Any ideas?

Old 07-13-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
cyberbackpacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Here is my first thought:

Stainless - Glass Sight Gauge - 1 inch flow | MoreBeer

Trinke Das Bier Das Du Gebraut Hast

Old 07-13-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
kcinpdx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

that is perfect, although VERY expensive! Perhaps I can find one cheaper...

Old 07-14-2009, 12:04 AM   #4
Grimsawyer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

a bit off subject... I have a friend who took his sanke keg and made it into a fermenter. He cut a hole in the top and used a lid from a corny keg to seal the top. He hooked a clover fitting to the now bottom sanke keg tap hole and has a nice big ball valve attached to make a dump valve. He then drilled a hole near the now bottom on the side through the sanke keg handle and silver soldered a tube to it. That is where he kegs from. he dosn't, however use anything but gravity to move his fermented beer. Also attached to the skirt is 3 legs with casters on the bottom. Can just wheel it around. Sounds like you got a similar thing going but will have the advantage of using compressed co2 to move your beer around. Happy brewing!
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Old 07-14-2009, 12:25 AM   #5
kcinpdx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

sounds like a similar idea - I actually thought about adding legs and casters, but I've got to figure out the liquid out thing first.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:38 AM   #6
kcinpdx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

St Pat's of texas has a 4" modified end cap that would be perfect - it is used as a wine barrel topper - exactly what I need, but it is $130. Any idea of what components are used here?

St. Patrick's of Texas

Old 07-15-2009, 04:02 AM   #7
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That's a lot of money. I still don't understand why anyone would change their Sankes to ferment. I know I am biased, but they are so easy to use "as is." I'm all for the project, but I have to voice the fact that they do work just fine for some of us in their natural state. I always have to chime in on keg threads so at least it is said, lol.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 07-15-2009, 04:12 AM   #8
kcinpdx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have a freebie sanke coming my way - I'll try the closed system on that one, assuming I can get a hold of a cheap coupler.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:21 AM   #9
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Not even closed system. Just pop the dip tube assembly out and stick in a big enough stopper with airlock, or large enough tubing for blow off. They are great, I just like my closed system for myself. Cleaning a keg is as easy as Oxy-Clean or PBW for an overnight soak. Very happy with keg ferments so far.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 07-15-2009, 02:09 PM   #10
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WortMonger View Post
Not even closed system. Just pop the dip tube assembly out and stick in a big enough stopper with airlock, or large enough tubing for blow off.
Thats what I do. I use an orange carboy cap. It took some convincing the first time, but is good to go after that. It is like a huge, unbreakable, carboy. After the first few years of brewing, I no longer need to see what is going on inside the fermenter.