Who's had Stone's 13th Anniv.?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschatz

Reaction score
This beer is like liquid hops. The website says they "double dry-hop" it. I'm blown away by the hop character of it. I think I crapped chinook and centennial today after a bottle last night.

Can I get an Amen? :rockin:

I am really looking forward to seeing this one on my frequented shelves!

I feel cheated to see Indiana has it before Idaho :(

Lucky bugger!

I thought it was more balanced than I had expected. I like it. It is hoppy, but not more so than some beer I've had. I just think the malt balanced it well.

It's currently on tap at Naja's Place here in LA. I tried it a few nights ago at a homebrew club meeting, and I feel it's a bit too hoppy for me. It tasted unbalanced. Although I'll bet in another year it'll be killer.

I picked up one on Friday and like all the Stone beers I've had, really enjoyed it. I'll go back and pick up some more.

Can't believe I'm saying this....but my larger beer glasses only hold a pint, why didn't they bottle in pint bottles?

:mug:

I had it twice and the second time I really paid attention to the bitterness and it was really high..I like hoppy but I thought it was too much..It was like ruination. I mean I will take this one over many beers but if I had to be critical...

I had it twice and the second time I really paid attention to the bitterness and it was really high..I like hoppy but I thought it was too much..It was like ruination. I mean I will take this one over many beers but if I had to be critical...

well, that's what Stone is known for. That's just their thing. I am among those who like a beer that is less bitter (I love my IPAs and IIPAs hoppy and big, but dry and clean), but there are plenty who love that style.

Damn. I got the Ruination and the 13th tonight. I'm surprised I can even type right now.

Both are so good. It's all about knowing that the Stone Brews are hardcore and enjoying the extremes that they make.

If you can find the 13th Anniversary, get it! That's about all I can handle for the review of it right now.

Honestly I found it to be powerfully hoppy, yet the malt character of it being a "double red ale" is very strong as well. The problem is that I find all of the flavors to clash. It wasn't an awful beer, but I'm not really excited about the other two that I have in the fridge.

I really enjoyed it. I like how Stone Hops their beers alot! Brought it to a party and a bunch of fizzy beer drinkers were like "WoW" at first, but later asked me what that was.

Liquor store guy was telling me they have had a bunch of bottles exploding at a couple of his stores around town and did not know why. Ones I had did not last very long, but I would like to pick up a few more and keep them for later.

This stuff is great!!
SWMBO picked up 4 bottles and I tried one that night. Went back to pick up the 7 they had. This is the stuff!!!

I've had about 4 pints on tap -- my regular place is one of the few bars in town that carries it. Also got 2 bombers of it in my fridge waiting to be consumed.

Frakking awesome. My brother described it as "intense". It's like brushing your teeth with hops.

The nose on this brew was absolutely amazing. Great, well ballanced flavor as well.

I think Stone does an excellent job of brewing high IBU beers that are not hop bombs.

I just bought some with my BDay $$. It is very nice.
I don't get to splurge much on beer anymore, so this is a very welcome treat.

For those of you that have Stone 13 and have had Deschutes Inversion... does this taste like an "imperialized" Inversion?

Excellent stuff, but I just cannot get over how much it tastes like a much bigger Inversion! Maybe very similar grain bill and hops choice?

? or am I full of ****...?

I liked it a lot. So I went back and bought a few more bottles. They are right about not cellaring, I think the hop character will be lost in 6 months behind all of the malt.

Enjoyed a Stone 13th last weekend....great aroma and well balanced beer. Always look forward to their anniversary brews.

Just got a bomber from Liquor Barn this past weekend. I was a bit disappointed, as this one tasted kinda off and twangy, and the hop explosion was kind of subdued now. Guess Stone was right when they said it didn't cellar well.

Let me start by saying that the company I get my beer from in Tokyo (Nagano Trading company) Lives up to the Stone practice of always shipping and keeping Stone Brews cold during shipment. As I live in Okinawa the two day journey of my 12 bombers seemed like an eternity. When I opened my first 13 last night I was smacked with a hop flavor that I come to expect from Stone. I am a Furious fan but this 13 is the only beer I have tasted that is in the same category....Outstanding beer.

Back