Bromance ESB for Critiquing - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Bromance ESB for Critiquing

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2009, 07:42 AM   #1
Gremlyn
 
Gremlyn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,358
Liked 29 Times on 19 Posts



Bromance Toasty ESB
Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale) Brewer: Bromance Brewery
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Mash Time/Temp: 60 min @ 154F
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients - Amount Item - Type - % or IBU
9.00 lb - Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) - Grain - 85.71 %
1.00 lb - Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) - Grain - 9.52 % (was 0.5 lbs)
0.50 lb - Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) - Grain - 4.76 % (was 0.75 lbs)
1.00 oz - Brewer's Gold [8.00 %] (45 min) - Hops - 25.1 IBU
0.60 oz - Fuggles [5.10 %] (30 min) - Hops - 8.1 IBU
0.50 oz - Fuggles [5.10 %] (10 min) - Hops - 3.2 IBU
1 Pkgs - Burton Ale (White Labs #WLP023) - Yeast

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.058 SG (1.048-1.060 SG)
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.016 SG (1.010-1.016 SG)
Estimated Color: 9.5 SRM (6.0-18.0 SRM) Color
Bitterness: 36.4 IBU (30.0-50.0 IBU)
Alpha Acid Units: 11.1 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.52 % (4.60-6.20 %)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I'm a fan of "getting it in the can"!


 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
big supper
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 425
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


From my experience, Marris Otter is quite biscuity/bready already. You shouldn't need to add any Biscuit in your grain bill. I would add a touch more crystal, as I like the ESB's/Pale ales to have a bit more caramel character to them. But these are just my preferences!!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:49 PM   #3
Gremlyn
 
Gremlyn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,358
Liked 29 Times on 19 Posts


I've never done a lighter coloured/flavoured beer like this but I want a VERY toasty flavour to it, maybe back down the biscuit to 1/2 lb. I could up the Crystal for sure, I really like Fuller's anyway and that has a nice caramelness to it. I could bump that up to 0.75 lbs to 1 lbs.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I'm a fan of "getting it in the can"!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:32 PM   #4
Freezeblade
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Oakland, California
Posts: 1,415
Liked 27 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlyn1 View Post
I've never done a lighter coloured/flavoured beer like this but I want a VERY toasty flavour to it, maybe back down the biscuit to 1/2 lb. I could up the Crystal for sure, I really like Fuller's anyway and that has a nice caramelness to it. I could bump that up to 0.75 lbs to 1 lbs.
Have you ever tried Amber malt or Special Roast? I think they give a bit more of a biscuity toasty flavor, you can always home-roast your malts as well, I just did that recently for some brown malt because Homebrew Mart was out of it and said they weren't getting any in. Home roasted malts might just give you the toasty flavor you want.
__________________
Primary:Russian River Redemption clone, Kelly's Melomel, Graham's English Cider 22-23
Clearing:Apple Wine
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:55 PM   #5
jldc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
jldc's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Posts: 661
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


I would brew/drink it as is. Looks delicious to me. I like the bready/toasty beers.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:31 PM   #6
Gremlyn
 
Gremlyn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,358
Liked 29 Times on 19 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezeblade View Post
Have you ever tried Amber malt or Special Roast? I think they give a bit more of a biscuity toasty flavor, you can always home-roast your malts as well, I just did that recently for some brown malt because Homebrew Mart was out of it and said they weren't getting any in. Home roasted malts might just give you the toasty flavor you want.
Out of what, biscuit malt? They seem to be out of a lot of stuff regularly. There have been malts they've been out of since I started brewing earlier this year! I'm not milling my own grain yet, so I can't really toast my own malt at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldc View Post
I would brew/drink it as is. Looks delicious to me. I like the bready/toasty beers.
Thanks for the vote of confidence I think I will up the Crystal 60L a little just to give the colour a little bump. If I do 1 lbs of crystal and 0.5 lbs of biscuit then I get 11.5 for the SRM. If it doesn't come out toasty enough for me, I can always remake it with more of the biscuit
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I'm a fan of "getting it in the can"!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beer Critiquing Needed ! ! ! thantos Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping 7 12-14-2009 05:46 PM
PM Dunkelweizen for Critiquing Gremlyn Recipes/Ingredients 49 07-16-2009 02:36 AM
Bromance Irish Red Gremlyn Recipes/Ingredients 6 06-08-2009 06:34 AM
anyone mind critiquing my first recipe? size Recipes/Ingredients 9 04-29-2009 02:21 PM
Sampling and Critiquing Forms SwAMi75 Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping 0 03-23-2005 03:38 AM


Forum Jump