Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Old kits and Old Malt extract

Old 07-11-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
quackkills
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Old kits and Old Malt extract

Anyone every find a couple of old malt can kits(like 5-8 years past best date) in the back corner of the basement and went ahead and used them?? Any problems??? Don't want to waste my time if they are screwed already. I also found a 60 lb bucket of Amber Malt extract that was passed on to me that is at least that old....still new and sealed with a very small crack in the top of the lid......any thoughts???

Thanks in advance!!!

Quackkills

Old 07-11-2009, 12:01 PM   #2
homebeerbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 33

As long as it's sealed, it should be ok. Is it hopped extract? I believe that the hops degrade over time, but the extract itself should be ok. If there is any yeast with the kit, you'll need new yeast.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
endo
Recipes 

Yes. I bought my brew kit from a man who received it as a gift but never used it. There were 3 cans of extract that had expiration dates over 9 years ago. As a total n00b and no money for fresh ingredients (though I did spring for a fresh package of dry yeast) I figured why not try one and see what comes of it? So I used one of the cans about 6 weeks ago along with some DME that I am assuming was about the same age, and got a pretty tasty beer out of it.

The can shows a pretty yellow beer, but my results are a beautiful dark reddish brown beer. I am not sure what it is SUPPOSED to taste like but the beer tastes like a strong brown ale with a coffee aftertaste. Since it turned out as good as it did I'll save and use the other two cans soon.

Go for it. Not much to lose as I see it, other than a bit of time and effort which to me would just be gaining experience and knowledge. Good luck with it!