Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Water from the grocery store machine.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Water from the grocery store machine.

I get all my drinking/cooking water from the machine in the grocery store. While I'm filling up my 5 gal. plastic water bottles I read on the label that it's basically filtered, reverse osmosis water (as I expected). But the final step is what they call "UV sterilization" which was probably defined by the marketing guys. I'm just thinking, if I sanitized my container first, this grocery store water is probably just as good for adding to wort after the boil as my current method using boiled then refrigerated water.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
Liked 313 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Reverse Osmosis water is fine for top-off. I'm just curious what this "UV Sterilization" is. I don't think it would be a problem but you never know. Maybe you can get a URL form the dispenser and check it out on their website?

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:03 PM   #3
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

UV sanitation is done with a high powered UV light . The water passes the light in a clear tube or vessel and the high UV kills bacteria they sell small units for home and camping. It doesn't effect the water at all .
'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan
Old 07-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
Liked 45 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 15

It is probably just fine for topping up. I'd only be worried that someone touched the nozzle after the UV sterilization.
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash