Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hitachino Nest Red rice ale and Koji?

Old 08-06-2009, 12:01 AM   #21
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Carbonated...

So this weekend I kegged up the two beers and started them carbonating, today I got them just shy of where I like them~2% so Ill let them go another day.

In both beers there is a bit of haze, so I plan on cold conditioning them for about two to four weeks before evaluating them. In that time I think I will try and split another batch, with an all red yeast ferment, and adding rice.

as of today though, the WL001 fermented beer is a vary clean tasting pilsner-esque beer. where the WL001/red yeast beer is some thing else, with lots of fruity flavors,but not the kind you would expect from an Belgian or an English Ale yeast. The good thing it is not over powering and they are not unpleasant flavors.

I think the trik will be to do a blind three way tasting...(Insert joke here)...With the Hitachino red, if I can find a fresh one!

On a side note, our local beer heaven (Hamiltons) had two ohter Hitachino bottles in their cooled this weekend, So I can't wait to get back there an try them.
BrewInMaVeins Likes This 
Old 07-14-2010, 01:13 PM   #22
Swig_A_Bedder_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Has anyone been able to capture any yeast from one of these bottles and culture it?

Old 07-26-2010, 10:32 PM   #23
ColoradoXJ13
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So I am subscribed to this thread but no updates for a while...

I am thinking about doing something similar after drinking another bottle of the Red Rice Ale last night (my liquor store is finally carrying it now...yay!).

I saved the dregs from the bottle and will do a stepped up started before brewing the beer. The bottle I got was way more red in color (really a ruby color, almost like a lot of raspberry/cherry beers, much more red than I remember and redder than in the pictures of the beer in the picture above (and a lot more clear, no chunks, I poured carefully to save the dregs).

I am planning on trying to get some natural red from 'red rice' as stated on the back of the bottle...I was thinking about reading into how to incorporate rice into a mash...I assume it means steaming it first to glutenize the starches, then mashing with barley, and I think I might try this rice
http://www.lotusfoods.com/Bhutanese-...ods@WholeGrain

to see if I can get some red color out of it, as well as adding cara-red malt to the mix.

I likely won't be doing this for a couple months, got some other beers on the schedule, but I will update with my results.

Anyone else with updates?

Old 08-31-2010, 08:21 PM   #24
Swig_A_Bedder_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi All,

I've captured yeast from the bottom of a Red Rice Ale bottle and its been going strong for a week or so now and I plan on brewing after Labor Day.

I am still a NB and have not graduated to the AG brewing so I am going to do a partial mash with a 1lb of Red Rice and a couple lbs of Weyermann CaraRed.

Planned recipe:

6lbs NB Organic Light Malt Syrup
2lbs Weyermann CaraRed
1lb Steamed Red Rice (Weight before steaming)
(1lb cane sugar if the OG is too low.)
1 oz Hallertau @ 60min
1.5 oz Hallertau @ 30
.5oz Hallertau @ 5 min

Yeast: captured from Hitachino Red Rice Ale bottle
1/2 gallon starter which has a red tint.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as this will be my first "partial mash" and I've heard its a bit different with rice then regular grain. True/false?

Thanks,
Mat

Old 09-12-2010, 02:53 PM   #25
Swig_A_Bedder_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So we brewed this last week and its fermenting really well.

Only changed one thing from the recipe above. We steamed 2lbs of red rice then mashed with an additional pound of rice hulls with the 2lbs of CaraRed @ 150 for 45 min and then sparged. We did not add the sugar and our OG was 1065.

Updates to follow shortly.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:41 AM   #26
Swig_A_Bedder_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I took a bottle of this to my brew club at the end on Jan and everyone seemed to like it. I am going to brew another batch soon with the yeast and plenty more red rice. I think it needs 5-6lbs instead of just 2 as I used before. Going to make it AG next time. The cultured yeast from the bottle is def a keeper and very unique. As it's aged for over 5 months it's really mellowed out and has a very crisp dry finish.

I'd love to hear if anyone else has been trying to use this yeast or red rice.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:39 PM   #27
Forestgrover
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey guys, love this thread.

Could you take the process used to make sake and instead of using rice, use grain? I don't really know a lot about Koji other than it breaks down starches.

I'm also curious to know how the Black Fobidden rice would affect the flavor of an ale.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:22 AM   #28
FatherJack
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

Just have to give Hitachino props. They are located in Ibaraki and received some pretty bad damage from the earthquake (not nearly as bad as those further up north though). Hitachino took their beer/sake off the bottling line for a while and were bottling water for the earthquake victims.

Additionally, I would like to add, if you have a chance try their Nipponia beer for an awesome sampling of Sorachi Ace.

They have an English website if anyone's interested:

Hitachino Website

Old 04-27-2011, 07:22 AM   #29
kgb_operative
Recipes 

Interesting thread, guys.

I have been wondering for a while about using sprouted rice in a white beer recipe. From what I understand of the process the whole rice berries are soaked, sprouted, and kilned in the same way that a basic barley malt would be. Has anyone tried using this ingredient, or have any knowledge about its use in brewing?

Reason: poor grammar

Old 01-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #30
Beerzilla
Recipes 

According to their website they use Lager malt, flaked barley, and red rice. The yeast is 清酒用大吟醸酵母 - Seishu Daiginjou Koubou (yeast) which is a kind of sake yeast.

Kizakura in Kyoto also has a beer fermented with sake yeast called Kura no Kaori.
黄桜 京都麦酒 蔵のかほり 京都麦酒 蔵のかほり – 生ビールブ*グ -とりあえず生!-

I had this a few years ago and remember a distinct sake aftertaste. It was good. Maybe someone can try experimenting with same sake yeasts?