Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > My first year Cents have buds in NJ!

Old 07-08-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
elwray
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My first year Cents have buds in NJ!

Hey all,

Planted these in the middle of April, more as an excuse to build a nice arbor by the pool rather than grow hops but they seem very healthy!

They are Centennials.

I was afraid they were going to get too much water from all the rain we've been having here in Central NJ, but I guess they enjoyed it (it's basically been Washington weather, so I guess that's good for hops! )

Old 07-08-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Very nice looking plant! My first year centennial looks like it's going to out-do the second year cent.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:09 PM   #3
elwray
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinrearview View Post
Very nice looking plant! My first year centennial looks like it's going to out-do the second year cent.
Thanks, I'll have to grab some shots of the whole thing once I get home. Where'd your rhizomes come from this year? Mine were from Freshops and they seemed very plump and healthy. Weren't even the first pick of the litter either; I ordered fairly late.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:23 PM   #4
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Ordered early this year, a little later last year. Both years from Freshops. This year's cent. was about the saddest looking rhizome (out of six) that I got. I put it close to the house so that I could give it more care. It only put up one shoot but it's 14 ft. plus and it's gonna provide a little harvest. I'd guess right now around .5oz. if everything goes well. Hoping between the two cents. and the first year Zues I'll be able to put together a pale. I'm going to have a very nice cascade harvest so between the three varieties I should be able to figure something out.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:31 PM   #5
elwray
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinrearview View Post
Ordered early this year, a little later last year. Both years from Freshops. This year's cent. was about the saddest looking rhizome (out of six) that I got. I put it close to the house so that I could give it more care. It only put up one shoot but it's 14 ft. plus and it's gonna provide a little harvest. I'd guess right now around .5oz. if everything goes well. Hoping between the two cents. and the first year Zues I'll be able to put together a pale. I'm going to have a very nice cascade harvest so between the three varieties I should be able to figure something out.
Mine shot up a whole bunch of bines... I tried thinning some out and tossed the pullings on the other side of the fence. It looks like they took root, so now I have a bunch of smaller crops all over the place ... wasn't expecting that!

Good luck with your pale when the time comes!

Old 07-08-2009, 11:34 PM   #6
fineexampl
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Very nice! So...new bff...when can i come over?

Old 07-09-2009, 12:06 AM   #7
elwray
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fineexampl View Post
Very nice! So...new bff...when can i come over?
LOL come on over! Plus I'm building a kegerator -- I'm finding lots of people that want to be friends!

Old 07-09-2009, 12:19 AM   #8
fineexampl
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwray View Post
LOL come on over! Plus I'm building a kegerator -- I'm finding lots of people that want to be friends!
it's all good man.