Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Any beers you serve @ 35?

Old 07-07-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
petep1980
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Any beers you serve @ 35?

I am planning my Oktoberfest and my calculations say if I can get it brewed by the end of July it can really be ready for October. I know the lagering isn't optimal, but it's good enough for me.

Anywho, I'll lager in a corney @ 35. I can fit two corney's in my kegger. I hate the idea of going an entire month with nothing on tap, so is there anything outside piss flavored american beer worth serving @ 35? Nothing in any of my books says to serve anything that cold.

Just curious...

Old 07-07-2009, 02:31 PM   #2
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 627 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 93

You can even drink moose piss at that temp and it will taste good.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
TrojanMan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Storing the beer a little too cold won't hurt a thing. Just drink how you normally would.

When it hits the room temperature glass, it's going to rise a degree or two and depending upon ambient temp, it'll climb fairly quickly after that. I wouldn't worry too much.

What you can do is to get bigger glasses. It'll take you longer to drink it, so the bulk of the beer will have more time to warm up a little bit. Plus, big glasses are always better. And you're going to need some big steins for that Festbier anyhow, aren't you?

Old 07-07-2009, 03:24 PM   #4
macabra11
Recipes 

I know I will probably get crucified, but I like my beer COLD! I mean like, 33 cold! I know it's not "proper" to serve all beers like that, but icy cold brew in a frosted glass is the way you'll get served at my house!

Old 07-07-2009, 03:30 PM   #5
petep1980

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanMan View Post
Storing the beer a little too cold won't hurt a thing. Just drink how you normally would.

When it hits the room temperature glass, it's going to rise a degree or two and depending upon ambient temp, it'll climb fairly quickly after that. I wouldn't worry too much.

What you can do is to get bigger glasses. It'll take you longer to drink it, so the bulk of the beer will have more time to warm up a little bit. Plus, big glasses are always better. And you're going to need some big steins for that Festbier anyhow, aren't you?

You do man!

Old 07-07-2009, 03:35 PM   #6
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I usually serve my beer colder than needed as well, right around 40F. Although this is not "optimal" for my IIPA, it's what I like. I don't see any problems with serving beers around lagering temps. One of the best ones to try would be the "Cream of Three Crops". Good stuff and is "somewhat" a BMC type of beer, perfect for those super low serving temps.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:33 PM   #7
Simphoto02
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macabra11 View Post
I know I will probably get crucified, but I like my beer COLD! I mean like, 33 cold! I know it's not "proper" to serve all beers like that, but icy cold brew in a frosted glass is the way you'll get served at my house!
The point is who cares what temp YOU like it. Just because the monks didn't have a frigidare when the invented beer doesn't mean they wouldn't have used it. I like my beer cold too. And I also let it warm to a warmer temp as I drink it. That's not to say it stays in the glass TOO long.....

Got tired of waiting for our savior to save the economy, so I jumped into all grain, What the hell!!!

Old 07-07-2009, 08:37 PM   #8
jrfuda
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simphoto02 View Post
I like my beer cold too. And I also let it warm to a warmer temp as I drink it. That's not to say it stays in the glass TOO long.....
I was getting ready to post the very same thing. I love the first ice cold sip. I usually take my time drinking a beer (esp when I'm enjoying a tripel or other high ABV brew) and I enjoy the last warmer sip as much as the first cold one. I'm afraid if I drank it at recommended serving temp (mid/high 40's for a tripel, for example) it'd be luke warm by the time I finished.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:43 PM   #9
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Liked 5786 Times on 5044 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I serve at 38*F regardless of the beer on tap.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:42 PM   #10
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 134 Posts

I like low-gravity lawnmower ales cold. Bent Rod Rye was designed to be consumed cold.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk