Flavoring Apfelwein - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > Flavoring Apfelwein

Old 07-04-2009, 07:39 AM   #1
digdan

Recipes 

Aug 2005
Pasadena, CA
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Has anyone attempted to add flavor to Apfelwein? Would coffee house flavors like Green Apple and Carmel work well? Or should I leave it alone?

Old 07-04-2009, 08:56 AM   #2
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Portland, OR, Oregon
Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts

If you want to flavor, I would strongly suggest using natural ingredients. Too many people have said extracts make the end result taste like cough syrup.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:39 AM   #3
Cheeto
Born again N00b
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Spokane, Washington
Liked 382 Times on 337 Posts

+1
on Evil's advice,

With the coffee house flavors they are packed with simple sugars, which will end up fermenting out leaving you with an unknown flavor. I would try adding some "Sugar Free" flavor to a glass of apfelwein , if you are still going to try....

-Jason
I don't want to never stop having poop stickers. -Austin post #6909379

I say some stupid chit -TXCrash post #7247287

Old 07-05-2009, 01:23 AM   #4
Barc

Recipes 

Oct 2008
NC
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I've been tempted to rack a gallon test batch onto a lb of raspberries then backsweeten. Sort of like Woodchuck only with a little more kick and more raspberry flavor.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:40 PM   #5
malkore

Recipes 

Jun 2007
Nebraska
Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts

the raspberry idea might work.

but, honestly, apfelwein should taste like apfelwein. it may need to age a bit...I like mine way more at 9 months in the bottle than when it was younger. I only used 1lb of sugar in mine as to dry it out less. Its still dry, but you do taste some apple.
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 07-09-2009, 08:41 PM   #6
phished880
Recipes 

Apr 2009
JP/Boston
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Just bottled a Cranberry/ Orange version, with dried cranberry and the zest of an orange. Samples tasted nice with no flaovr overwhelming but an excellent combo.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:25 AM   #7
yeastluvr
Recipes 

Mar 2009
Washington St.
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've tried the raspberry apfelwein and it was a bit sour. I've also tried adding a small amount of blackberry extract. I get a nice hint of blackberry at the end but I can tell you I like regular unadulterated apfelwein the best by far.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:25 AM   #8
digdan

Recipes 

Aug 2005
Pasadena, CA
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

ok, so I flavored some apple wines with "cafe" style flavors. And I've come to this conclusion :

Don't do it! Well... you can with mild success, but if you want to be a rock star... DON'T DO IT.

From my experience I've found this : People don't care for how subtle your wine is, if it tastes like crap. They understand you took months to make it, and they just nod their heads and imagine themselves heaving in their mini brains.

Onto the cafe styles. The simple cane sugar is not good for fermentation. It gives mass cider flavors, and will turn your wine into ... ghetto wine. Or, recipe wine.

If you wish to use these flavors, use sugar free. Use after fermentation, but before force-carbonation/bottling.

For the best flavor, I would suggest subtle hops to play with sugar free flavors. Or better yet.... don't f' with the recipe

My wife is calling, and she is sober so... peace

Old 07-31-2009, 01:53 PM   #9
Cheeto
Born again N00b
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Spokane, Washington
Liked 382 Times on 337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeto View Post
+1
on Evil's advice,

With the coffee house flavors they are packed with simple sugars, which will end up fermenting out leaving you with an unknown flavor. I would try adding some "Sugar Free" flavor to a glass of apfelwein , if you are still going to try....

-Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by digdan View Post
ok, so I flavored some apple wines with "cafe" style flavors. And I've come to this conclusion :

Don't do it! Well... you can with mild success, but if you want to be a rock star... DON'T DO IT.

From my experience I've found this : People don't care for how subtle your wine is, if it tastes like crap. They understand you took months to make it, and they just nod their heads and imagine themselves heaving in their mini brains.

Onto the cafe styles. The simple cane sugar is not good for fermentation. It gives mass cider flavors, and will turn your wine into ... ghetto wine. Or, recipe wine.

If you wish to use these flavors, use sugar free. Use after fermentation, but before force-carbonation/bottling.

For the best flavor, I would suggest subtle hops to play with sugar free flavors. Or better yet.... don't f' with the recipe

My wife is calling, and she is sober so... peace

Sorry to hear about the bad luck !

-Jason
I don't want to never stop having poop stickers. -Austin post #6909379

I say some stupid chit -TXCrash post #7247287

Old 07-31-2009, 02:10 PM   #10
Brewer_Steve
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a 5 gallon batch fermenting now with a pound of raisins added. Not sure what the result will be...